Thread: UV eye damage - type of goggles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UV eye damage - type of goggles?

Does anyone have any concrete information about which goggles protect you for UV light?

I have dark mirror lense JT goggles and after about 8 hours on the field, my eyes are red and ichy, and my face feels like it's getting burned right through my mask. (I keep my mask on all day.)

The web says you can get cataracts in old age from this - or eye cancer.

Check out the ninja black lens for the E-vent and Eflex masks. I have one and it is crazy dark!

Unfortunately, the only brand/model I've seen to claim UV protection is the Dye i4 (this technology was probably invested to support their snow product line as well). I'm willing to bet that unless a manufacturer identifies their product as having it, the goggles do not have it.

It's for this very same reason I decided to not wear my mirrored JT lense anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79
    Check out the ninja black lens for the E-vent and Eflex masks. I have one and it is crazy dark!
    Darkness has absoulutely nothing to do with UV- it's a matter of what light wavelengths are allowed through. If you have dark lenses that allow UV light through, you actually do more damage.

Normally, when your eyes are exposed to sunlight, your iris tightens allowing less light (to include UV) into your retina. When you wear dark glasses, your irises stay wider and if the glasses aren't blocking UV then, more UV is getting to your retina. This is old news- In the 80s, Los Angeles street market vendors were found to be causing more damage to folks eyes because they were putting bogus UV protection stickers on their cheapo sunglasses.

Good to know. I would have never thought of this.
    I only wear mirrored lenses one weekend a year at a certain event so i can creep.... So, i think im ok.

I usually just play with my eyes closed so I think I should be fine.

proto switch protection from UV -FYI

proto switch worked really well to prevent the UV last weekend, my face was not burned through the mask either, after 8 hours of daytime play, FYI, my eyes were not bloodshot and red from UV either

the Dye masks all claim to have UV protection for the eyes

Quote Originally Posted by djinnform View Post
    my eyes are red and ichy, and my face feels like it's getting burned right through my mask. (I keep my mask on all day.)

The web says you can get cataracts in old age from this - or eye cancer.
    That sounds like an alergic reaction. Possibly from the foam and or glue. I've never seen or heard anyone complain about this before.

I wear glasses and just ordered te transition lenses, which protect from UV.
    For eyeglass wearers it's something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    That sounds like an alergic reaction. Possibly from the foam and or glue. I've never seen or heard anyone complain about this before.
    I agree.
    Even this last hot summer in SoCal, I never experienced that.

In case you were waiting for the results here, I finally made it to Lenscrafters, where they have a special machine that checks lenses for UV penetration. "UV Photometer" - made to test sunglasses. Paintball lenses also fit in the machine.

I gave the lab tech all my paintball lenses. JT x 1, Sly x 2, Proto x 2, Dye x 2 clear, reflective, yellow, and dark

They all passed with 100% protection from UV. So, if you trust Lenscrafters and the skills of their tech. department. Then everything passed the UV eye damage test.

But, I also asked the clerk if he's ever seen a negative, failing result from his machine, and he couldn't answer.

Quote Originally Posted by djinnform View Post
    But, I also asked the clerk if he's ever seen a negative, failing result from his machine, and he couldn't answer.
    Ha. Very good question.

While I don't doubt UV hazards, I would point out the spring pollen. Our oak pollen gets so thick, it's not so much about allergies as it is just too much junk floating in the air. It finally rained last week and washed it out.

Thanks for the follow up!