Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official AO Update Thread / Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    All files finally downloaded, it was a big job. SQL's downloaded but not verified. Setting up verification for SQL files next.

TK

So tell us, Tom... How big is AO?

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    So tell us, Tom... How big is AO?

Keep in mind, those files are stuff like Mod directories, image hosting, etc. The REAL AO is the SQL database. That, I'm curious about myself.

I got a second email from my guys and I am not sure if the SQL database is downloaded yet or not. I will get a number when its through.

TK

Exclamation

I got a second email from my guys and I am not sure if the SQL database is downloaded yet or not. I will get a number when its through.

TK
    I looked up SQL on Google.

"Structured Query Language is a special-purpose programming language designed for managing data in relational database management systems (RDBMS)."

Yeah, clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    I looked up SQL on Google.

"Structured Query Language is a special-purpose programming language designed for managing data in relational database management systems (RDBMS)."

Yeah, clear as mud.

Um, what's your question? Ours is, how big is the SQL database for AO. Not sure what yours is...

2.6 gigs.

tk

That's pretty small! My current paintball pictures file has 10.3 Gb (39,605 files) while just the AGD folder is like 3.2 Gb (11,225 files)...

No - that's the SQL database.

That's actually pretty damned big.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring
    Um, what's your question? Ours is, how big is the SQL database for AO. Not sure what yours is...
    No question.
    Just wondered what sql was.
    Now that I know it didn't help.
    Still Greek to me.

or you just have too many repetitive pictures
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    No question.
    Just wondered what sql was.
    Now that I know it didn't help.
    Still Greek to me.

It's the programming language that allows tables containing data to be related to each other and stored/retrieved.

Quote Originally Posted by wimag
    or you just have too many repetitive pictures
    Believe it or not, I don't have many repetitive pictures as I filter them constantly to make sure they are good. If you want, shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I can grant you read access to the library as it's currently stored on my Skydrive.

It's the programming language that allows tables containing data to be related to each other and stored/retrieved.
    It's actually the DataBase itself. A set of tables that are all related between each other and contains the information we post here. The programming language is rather a mix of languages (HTML, ASP, C and what not) that's used to create the graphic interface (the actual web site), which pulls the information from the tables stored on the DataBase.

SQL's downloaded but not verified yet. There were 2.6 gigs. Setting up new form to test and see that the data all made it ok.

TK
    Wonder if he meant form, or was it forum ?

Anyone noticed that the TechPB Forum crashed a week ago during an update?
    I took these Info from facebook.

9. November:
    Mike Phillips: we tried to install an update to the forum software and it corrupted the database. So we're working on our backups to restore it back to normal. But it's going to take some time
    Yesterday:
    Mike Phillips:
    *** TechPB Forums are back online *** The restore point was Feb 2012. Everything that happened after Feb 2012, was lost in the data corruption. This includes signatures, posts, feedback, BST threads, if it was posted or changed after Feb 2012, it was lost in the database corruption that took place a week ago. Share it out fellas, thanks again
    Few hours ago:
    Mike Phillips: *** ATTN ** we're not done yet with the restoration of the forums. There is a TON of work, that still needs to be done to get everything back to 100% normal. Right now, we are at about 30% complete, but we've restored enough functionality to let people back into their accounts and back on the forum. We will continue to work behind the scenes, patching everything up and fixing everything back to no
    rmal. You have to remember, the people who are working on this, work full time jobs, have families and other responsibilities. They are burning the midnight oil trying to fix the mess. We were able to restore all the posts up until Nov 6th, and now we're just connecting the dots to bring everything back to normal. It's going to take a little bit more time to fix everything. Deep breaths everyone

I'm glad that we took the way we did and qualified people are taking care of everything.

This is why you have database backups...

Quote Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike
    Gentlemen, PLEASE get in touch with us over at TechPB so we can help you

We've got top notch people who can help you move the site to a SECURE place, such as Echo Servers or something.

Dragan Tozan is a database master, he can help you move all the files and everything. We can setup a sandbox to move everything over first, check to make sure everything works perfectly, and swap the DNS to the new location. No one would know the difference

Crazylittle (Chris), Will (Slinkaroo), Dragon Tozan (GroundFire), and Willie (TechPB-Willie) are phenomenal at this stuff and we can help!!

Send me an email mike@techpb.com, I'll start a CC'd dialogue with the admins at AO and the admins at TechPB. We can help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by godraep
    Kinda funny that Tom Kaye dipped out and made his loyal followers pay to keep their website when multiple people offered to do it for free =/
    Quote Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike
    We tried to install an update to the forum software and it corrupted the database. So we're working on our backups to restore it back to normal. But it's going to take some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I'm glad that we took the way we did and qualified people are taking care of everything.
    LOL.

Thank you Tom for understanding that AO is a self-perpetuating community that revolves around your innovations and those who swear by them and try to grow them, and not letting flybynights, "punks", and lesser forums destroy that.

I am scared and excited to see the AO of the future!

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    Anyone noticed that the TechPB Forum crashed a week ago during an update?
    I took these Info from facebook.

Wow. That was not handled well at all. They really should have taken the forum down while they restored the incrementals. Their DB is going to be a mess.

Thumbs up Happy Thanksgiving !

Wow, I missed this one somehow :

Setting up new test forum. Debating on how to handle the switch over. The safest way means we loose about a weeks worth of the latest posts. Will keep you posted.

TK
    And a thanksgiving update :

Holidays messing things up. Will report any progress when it happens.

Tom

The mustache never sleeps !

Unhappy 11/30/12

Test forum checked out fine and was super fast. Next step will be to shut down AO, once again download the database so everything is up to date, then bring it back up on the new server.

If you see AO down for a day don't freak out.

TK

I know it has to be done but what will we do in the meantime ?

Talking

Well as usual things screw up. Couldn't log into Vbulletin to get the new software. Had to make phone calls. They had to send emails that went into spam heaven. They only let you order online. Actually finally paid for software, now waiting for next email to download newest version. Tick, tock......

TK
    Hey, newest version !
    Hopefully someone is capable to keep it updated too.

Still no software from VB, nothing is easy. Have to call and *****. TK
    When I downloaded VBulletin, I logged into the member area and downloaded it myself. If you have your customer number and password, you have everything you need to download the software.

Here's what the email would look like:

Hello,

Thank you for placing an order with vBulletin! This email contains everything you need to know to use your new products and services.

The vBulletin customer area is located at: http://members.vbulletin.com/ Here you may download products, enter information for any services you purchased such as installations, receive technical support, and purchase additional licenses and services. ** If you have purchased the installation or upgrade service, you must click the "edit worksheet" button in the customer area to begin the process!

** Your login details for the vBulletin customer area are as follows:
    Customer Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Customer Password: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Here are the licenses we have on file for you: ZZZZZZZZZZZ-- vBulletin 4.x Forum; expires: n/a

If you have any questions, you may create a ticket via the customer area or contact us at contact@vbulletin.com. Please join the vBulletin team and other customers on the customer forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/).

Thanks! vBulletin Customer Support

vBulletin® is a registered trademark of vBulletin Solutions, Inc. in the U.S., with registration pending. This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. You are not allowed to share the contents of this message with anyone, nor are you allowed to post the URL of this ticket. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. vBulletin Solutions, Inc. does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.
    Subject line: vBulletin Customer Information
    From Address: vBulletin Customer Support

Well as usual things screw up. Couldn't log into Vbulletin to get the new software. Had to make phone calls. They had to send emails that went into spam heaven. They only let you order online. Actually finally paid for software, now waiting for next email to download newest version. Tick, tock......

TK
    He couldnt log on.

If he paid for it, he should have that info. It shouldn't be another email.

Dayspring,

Did get an email receipt, never got an email that looks anything like yours.

TK

Then yes, I would call & complain.
    Last edited by Dayspring; 12-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Exclamation

Got the software finally. Now have to test the update on the recently downloaded data. If that works then fresh download, update and viola!

TK

Wonder how long the test will be.

I dont do well on long tests.

Teacher I have to go to the bathroom

The real trick will be the style/design switch.

Lots of things have changed from VBulletin 3 to VBulletin 4.

One thing I AM looking forward to though is ForumRunner being active. (If he turns it on, which he 100% should!)

Question

The real trick will be the style/design switch.

Lots of things have changed from VBulletin 3 to VBulletin 4.

One thing I AM looking forward to though is ForumRunner being active. (If he turns it on, which he 100% should!)
    I have never figured out why you need an "app" to view a forum.
    Maybe if you are still on 2G or 3G.
    I'd rather look at the full webpage than a mobile "half there" page.
    But LTE is fairly fast.

Thumbs up

Well of course there were lots of issues upgrading from such an old version. We could not get to 5.0 beta but we were able to upgrade to version 4 which is the current stable version. Even at 4 there were lots of errors etc. but it did come through on the test data.

Hopefully this week we will shut down, download the current data and come back up on the new platform. Everything except the forum will have to be redone. There is a new Content Management System in this one that we will have to copy over static links etc from the old site. Don't expect anything in the way of fancy graphics, we will work on that after.

TK

Awesome.