Thread: EMag safety ball stuck :(

jaguarshark Guest

EMag safety ball stuck :(

My EMag's safety has been pretty stiff for awhile so I decided to open it up. Unfortunately I found the little ball bearing stuck in the hole. Any advice on how to remove it? I tried poking at it with a small screwdriver and nothing. I'm assuming lots of grime made its way in there and got it struck.

Thanks for any tips.

ive had this issue,

when i stripped my frames the stripping acid ate away at the ball.

to be honest i have no idea other then getting a nice metal pick that fits in the hole, magnetise it really well, and it might attract the ball.

someone like tunaman, thomas, BigEvil, might know better.

jaguarshark Guest
    Haha yeah, I may just pick at it some and then give it up. Frankly the safety doesn't work all that great since the ridges are too high. I need to find some nice rubber/plastic covers that fit the hole well.

Two things:

First, squirt a little engine-brite in there and the ball will pop right out.

Second, take your frame go to Staples... Check out their furniture department; they sell that prefab crap you can assemble with a screwdriver and a hammer, and I've found all sorts of great little black rubber vanity plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Two things:

Second, take your frame go to Staples... Check out their furniture department; they sell that prefab crap you can assemble with a screwdriver and a hammer, and I've found all sorts of great little black rubber vanity plugs.
    perfect advice.

also always have patience

jaguarshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Two things:

Ahh thanks! Great advice.

If you spray degreaser or similar product into the hole around the ball, you can loosen the ball and free things up. Since you have the safety out, round the edges of the grooves where the ball sits in the safety. It will help the safety move back and forth and prevent it from sticking, while still providing a positive stop. You only have to take the sharp edge off so the ball can move over it easier.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.