Thread: Black SS body

Black SS body

What exactly is the black coating that is found on the black SS AM bodiies? I have heard it referred to as teflon coated, is this correct? Will oven cleaner take it off or should I use paint stripper?

WTF! I literally just posted this same question in the main Paintball talk section after you did today! I haven't even come in the Tech forum for a couple weeks. Weird.

But, yeah, I want to find out more about it to.

Teflon spray is typically applied to heated metal and then baked. The heating opens the pores of the metal and allows the spray to penetrate the metal for extra grip. It will probably be hard to remove, but it is possible and should remove with paint stripper. If not, just use sandpaper and steel wool. That always works on stainless steel bodies.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Can it be done at home, or must it be sent to a company specializing in that?

It can be done at home. You can buy teflon paint.

I gotta check out Lowes then. I wonder if it will be as durable as the kind applied by AGD, that stuff is pretty tough. I might even use it to blacken a polished RT body I have so the gun can match it's factory black twin.

I don't know if Lowes will have it. They might. They use it on metals such as guns. You might get a lead as to where to buy it by going to a gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Konigballer
    WTF! I literally just posted this same question in the main Paintball talk section after you did today! I haven't even come in the Tech forum for a couple weeks. Weird.

But, yeah, I want to find out more about it to.
    Yeah, but you want to put it on, I want to take it off...lol.

so you just want a plain SS body, power feed left? power feed right? pump milled?

I can just trade you straight up

It's not teflon. These bodies were dipped in acid causing a chemical reaction that turns them black.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    so you just want a plain SS body, power feed left? power feed right? pump milled?

I can just trade you straight up
    Not unless you hava e Centerfeed body to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman
    It's not teflon. These bodies were dipped in acid causing a chemical reaction that turns them black.
    Any idea which acid was used? How long was it left on? From the way the black is on the body I have, it looks like the body would have been sprayed and not dipped. They definitely would have had to cork it or something since the inside is still raw.

*edit: This looks like the process: http://www.ehow.com/how_8136304_stai...ark-black.html
    Last edited by OPBN; 11-01-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Get it powder coated..? Cheaper than most other coating options.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    Any idea which acid was used? How long was it left on? From the way the black is on the body I have, it looks like the body would have been sprayed and not dipped. They definitely would have had to cork it or something since the inside is still raw.

*edit: This looks like the process: http://www.ehow.com/how_8136304_stai...ark-black.html

I concur. All the black Minimag bodies and RT bodies I've handled, one of which was factory new, have obvious over-spray marks on the inside of the bodies, especially by the ventilated front ends. The inside of the bodies are raw/uncoated as OPBN said. Whatever it is was sprayed on.

It may well be teflon; I remember that's how it was advertised anyway. As far as getting it redone, I had a stainless model 70 teflon coated by a gunsmith in Williams Lake about ten years ago and the finish is still amazing. Maybe check around for gunsmiths in your area if you want to go the teflon route. It wasn't terribly expensive if I rember correctly (somewhere around 150.00, but that was for everything- breech, bolt, barrel and trigger group).

Quote Originally Posted by mike780
    It may well be teflon; I remember that's how it was advertised anyway. As far as getting it redone, I had a stainless model 70 teflon coated by a gunsmith in Williams Lake about ten years ago and the finish is still amazing. Maybe check around for gunsmiths in your area if you want to go the teflon route. It wasn't terribly expensive if I rember correctly (somewhere around 150.00, but that was for everything- breech, bolt, barrel and trigger group).
    Thats a good idea. There are a bunch of gunsmiths in my area, an nowadays there are tons of different firearm finishing companys online. Gotta stay away from Georgia Gunsmithing though, they have a bad reputation on MCB.

I talked to the chemical boys at work about stripping it and they said "it needs to be baked off at a high temp... in a well ventalated area... or you will pass out and die. should just flake off after that"

he didnt say how high a temp or for how long but this kinda thing is outta my league

dont die

I'm pretty sure you can polish it off with an abrasive as if you were polishing a stock stainless body.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    I'm pretty sure you can polish it off with an abrasive as if you were polishing a stock stainless body.
    Yes you can, it just takes a little longer than the bodies with the grey finish. I used sandpaper.

what about sandblasting it with glass bead?