Thread: ULE body question

ULE body question

what is the silver plating on them? is it nickle or chrome?

well tom just said its probably anno, i just wasnt aware that anno can "flake" off

I thought there were some that were nickel plated....

nickel would be awesome as its ridiculously easy to remove

Ah. missed part of the question. Not sure actually.

Annodized aluminum doesn't produce as much shine as nickle plate does. It has a tendency to be a bit whiter. If it is flaking, it is probably nickle. Nickle won't adhere to aluminum very well. It requires a plating such as zincate on the aluminum which the nickle adheres to. If the zincate plate does not fully cover the aluminum, the nickle plating will be weak.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

ok, i spent some quality time today with the boys in the chemicals department today. they dipped my body in a light acid wash and stripped the spray paint I put on the body as a quick black before I played. they guy instatly identified the silver as nickel plate (as the acid turned it bronzish) then said (after I took pics) "do you want me to strip it?"

hell yes that would be great thank you

so now that the body is stripped clean and the PB season is over in the area I can continue shaping it to where I want it

and after stripping

I am too damn curious. What'cha doin with it? I need something to dream about in the off season.

well I'm taking mild influence from triggernomics and just hand working the body. I have a Luke's ultralight rail and working on kinda matching the style of it. I still dont know what lukes frame will be like but either that or a y-grip. the foregrip I want annodised to match the rest of the gun but I love my welded chain TOO MUCH so I will be making an identical foregrip out of aluminum... they dont make aluminum chain... so I will be making it from a straight piece of round bar and patience. still unsure about the drop... that I'll probably do last and will most likely be making it from scratch.

I cant stop tinkering with stuff and I love owning the lego set of the paintball world

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    what is the silver plating on them? is it nickle or chrome?
    I took my ULE body that was flaking to a shop that does plating.
    It turns out that my body was nickle plated.

Im not denying this is nickle, just some FYI. There has been cases where anno will flake off. I've never personally seen it but it has been reported.

you better make something epic outa that body since you have all off season.

if not i will be disapointed , and you know how much you rely on me

but seriously make something sexy, and after you are done post pics.
    even while you are doin it up post some pics. we need progress

i kinda have a build log, but its been unpopular so i havnt posted much on it

https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262047
    Last edited by BTAutoMag; 11-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.