Thread: bolt stick?

bolt stick?

so i aired up one of my mags today and i took a shot and it seemed like the on/off didnt want to reset...i turned the air off then back on and it would do the same, only one shot and then nothing, any ideas...thanks

by the way, i was using a tank with about 850 output...

Did you look down the feedneck to verify that the bolt wasn't fully reset? If so, the first thing i'd check is the field strip screw. If it is too tight, the bolt will stick.

I finally got some air and checked to make sure the frame screw/feild strip screw weren't to tight...it seems like the valve takes a sec to get the air it needs to recharge...it shoots a couple or few times then feels like the on/off in the valve doesn't fully reset...any other ideas?...

Check to make sure it's the bolt needing to be reset. Fire, and when it sticks, try to physically "cock" the bolt back by using a squeegie or swab. If it clicks back, even just a millimeter, and is ready to fire again, then it's bolt stick. It could be a carrier o-ring that has swelled, a worn bolt spring, a too-tight field strip screw or frame screw, or a whole host of other minor things. The first thing you might want to try (after checking the field strip and frame screws) is to open up the powertube and put a drop of oil directly on the carrier o-ring. Then see if you can shoot multiple shots in quick succession (I'd advise without a barrel on, pointing down or into a paper towel because it's going to fire out an oily mist for a few dozen shots).

Sounds like bolt stick caused by a carrier oring that is too tight. You should tune your level 10 bolt. Remove all the powertube shims and install the largest carrier size that does not produce a leak with the oring that you are using. Always use the same white carrier oring in each carrier that you use.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    Sounds like bolt stick caused by a carrier oring that is too tight. You should tune your level 10 bolt. Remove all the powertube shims and install the largest carrier size that does not produce a leak with the oring that you are using. Always use the same white carrier oring in each carrier that you use.
    I've done this with my ETac and still get some bolt stick if that carrier o-ring isn't freshly oiled. A larger carrier = leak, and without oiling the marker before playing I get stick that I have to cure by degassing the marker and airing back up again. A drop of oil directly on the carrier o-ring fixes the issue for the entire day, maybe more.

It's usually at least a week between games for me, if not a couple weeks, and I rarely oil my markers inbetween games. That's why I've come to the conclusion that I need to oil before playing each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    I've done this with my ETac and still get some bolt stick if that carrier o-ring isn't freshly oiled. A larger carrier = leak, and without oiling the marker before playing I get stick that I have to cure by degassing the marker and airing back up again. A drop of oil directly on the carrier o-ring fixes the issue for the entire day, maybe more.

It's usually at least a week between games for me, if not a couple weeks, and I rarely oil my markers inbetween games. That's why I've come to the conclusion that I need to oil before playing each time.
    The oring should work without any lubrication if properly tuned. If you are getting sticking and it requires oil to solve it, then your carrier is too tight. If the next larger one leaks, it is usually an indication of a faulty oring or a worn sear that is allowing the bolt vent hole to be too close to the edge of the carrier oring causing you to use a carrier that is too tight.

ill try it out tonight...thanks guys...

properly tuned my level 10...shoots great, thanks guys...

what did the issue end up being? Oring or carrier?

funny you ask...both i think...i put a larger carrier and a shim and i also replaced the oring...

Ahhh! so i got it working and played with it for a couple games, shot fine when i would shoot 1 or 2 balls but when ever i would try to shoot more than 3 or 4 in a row it the balls would lose alot of distance. almost like the valve wasnt getting sufficient air. so i tried to mess with the level 10 again and now its back at its original state(feels like the valve isnt recharging, even when i put the same carrier and shims it had when it did fire)...could it be anything else in the valve besides the level 10 or on off? thanks

The slow recharge could have been due to short stroking due to a slow reset of the level 10. A mag not resetting or chuffing is almost always due to a level 10 carrier that is too tight. How old is the bolt spring? These are wearable items and do need to be replaced periodically.