Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mech only games

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    I played in a 3-man benefit tourney a few weeks back, using a high-cap Rotor and carrying 4 pods. After the first game I shucked the pods and just went out with a full hopper each time. Never ran out of paint. But, I didn't sit in back holding a lane the whole time either, I pushed up and only shot when attempting to get an elimination or keep a head down for movement.

It's an interesting concept. And I'd bet it works a whole lot differently in a woodsball game (which is 95% what I play). As a matter of fact, if it were in a woodsball game I'd be tempted to just go mag-fed with my TPX and let teammates provide the suppressive fire.
    I seldom even opened the first pod and it was not abnormal for me to shoot 500 rounds during a tournament. However the worry about running out of paint bothered me.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_Claw
    And i also understand the premis of a all mech game for pure nostalgia point. But with guns like the newly coming GOG Enmey, and Tippmans Crossover (without a batt in mech mode), or the Tippmann Phenom i think you would not see the nostalgia you looking for. A best bet would be a limit on year of manufacture.
    I was wondering when these guns would come up. Indeed, these are real guns out in the wild right now (or are forthcoming in mass availability and affordability in the first’s case).

The eNMEy is single trigger, so you’re not walking that thing unless you change it, and even if you do, who knows how walkable it will really be. And if it shoots anything like a Vibe, which I do own (just for screwing around with; about to give it to a friend and be rid of it), then it’s not going to pose a problem. It’s a neat gun, don’t get me wrong. I just can’t see it being overpowered.

The mech mode of the Crossover has been described as "unwalkable". I've never seen one, so someone else should confirm this.

The Phenom also appears to be … difficult to walk in mech mode.

I don’t see any of these guns interfering with the spirit of a mech game.

If you’re going to limit paint, limit it to 150 per player. That's where things get interesting. An accurate player should easily get to about 20 balls per elimination, so that’s 7(.5) heads right there. Get better, or more realistically, if you only need to make say 3 eliminations to materially change the outcome of a game, then you’re handing 90 rounds per front player to your backing players.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

I did not mean to instate that the new GOG or Tippmann markers would be overpowering. Just that if one of your goals was to have an old school game maybe mech only not the best option.

And for that matter if you limit year of manufacture of the marker you would then also limit rate of fire.
    AGD 68 Automag, Azodin KP2, Sheridan PGP2, Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Crossover XVR, SL-68II, and TiPX.

I did not mean to instate that the new GOG or Tippmann markers would be overpowering. Just that if one of your goals was to have an old school game maybe mech only not the best option.

And for that matter if you limit year of manufacture of the marker you would then also limit rate of fire.
    To what year though. It would be interesting to see the Shoeboxes and Angels back on the field. Though I admit to not actually recalling when the first Angels came out... remember the single trigger Angels?

Stock markers only? What about modifications? Or, "piece it together" markers like 'Mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    Stock markers only? What about modifications? Or, "piece it together" markers like 'Mags?
    That is one of those reasons that while I love the idea I am not so sure it will work in practice. For instance is the intelliframe legal while the e-blade is not? Does it matter when it was first released? What about an early Angel with current Tadeo software?. If you do make the rule that it can only have parts and accessories produced before __________ who do you have on-hand who is expert enough to judge it.

What about o-rings? Do we all have to use old o-rings?

I think ya all overthinkin. Just set a manufacture date and let people play. If the point is a old school game with semi fire then keep that. And if you really worry about the used of up grades on the angles and shockers of the day. Then just extend the manufacture date to include the hopper you use as well dont care WHAT mode you have on your bored but if you shooting a 9v revi rate of fire will be fair.

But seriously people play pump vs semis and electros all the time a slightly higher rate of fire in semi is not as big an advantage as some of you seem to imply.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    this

I think we've hit our internet meme limit for this thread. Better just lock it down.

You know how we could improve AO:

Whenever a discussion reaches a point that we don't like we can throw up some memes rather then just simply exiting it and allowing others to continue it.

That makes sense.

i think we should stage a game with splatt masters that have to be hand fed 1 ball at a time... and youre not allowed to carry the balls on your person. you have to wrestle them away from rabid squirrels mid game

Just saw this thread.
    I would love to play limited paint games.
    For example one pod per game.
    So, you walk on the field. Empty your pod in your hopper. That's it.

Anybody who plays at SC village interested?