Thread: A question for TK - ownership of information

A question for TK - ownership of information

Over the years you have posted a tremendous amount of information about the history of AGD on this forum. Its been posted by you on a forum you own so ownership of the information is pretty apparently yours.

We are trying to get information gathered in a way that can be used in the future should others want to write a book and as such are attemping to make an "open source" source of information such as what you have posted here.

If someone where to go through your old posts and pound out the historical information of the rise of AGD would it be acceptable to "steal" the information you have published and place it in the open source directory?

The directory itself is still in its planning stages.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

In general I don't have a problem with the concept. It is always prudent though to maintain ownership until I see exactly what people want etc. Get the stuff together and let me see it then I can answer better.

Tom

Fair enough. I will work it out and put it here over the next few weeks

Tom owns all kinds of stuff... If the patent pages are right, pretty much ever agitated loader, forcefed loader, the powerfeed, and all kinds of other goodies that everybody uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Tom owns all kinds of stuff... If the patent pages are right, pretty much ever agitated loader, forcefed loader, the powerfeed, and all kinds of other goodies that everybody uses.
    Yeh. The idea is not about trying to open source technology or even the information directly associated with that technology (ie reading a book on Harley Davidson's does not give me the technical know-how to build a flathead). For instance when AGD started, when it sold the first mag, how many were produced, important design changes. Teams that used them and were sponsored. The initial reaction to HPA. Team Nitro. The decision to share HPA. The decision to not fight the SP patents. Key games. The design team of the X-mag. The Gardner brothers drilling spiral ports in the first barrels in their garage.

We are reaching a point in paintball where those originally there for key events (was it Bud Orrs fight for paintball in the courtroom of New Jersey?) are leaving and some are going to take great information with them to the grave. Its time to put this information in one spot and open source it (as others are willing) in order to preserve it for the future. Further with open sourced info the possiblity of getting a "coffee table" paintball book comes closer. One of the main hurdles is ownership of the information that has been posted in forums. It is technically published and not free to use. Exact ownership (forum or author) can be debated for a long time. We could argue free use doctrine and fight it out but it would be better if we simply all agreed to what was going to be added to an open source directory to avoid potential problems later

Its reasonable to ask to see exactly what information is being requested to be moved. Ill find it and post it here

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    Yeh. The idea is not about trying to open source technology or even the information directly associated with that technology (ie reading a book on Harley Davidson's does not give me the technical know-how to build a flathead). For instance when AGD started, when it sold the first mag, how many were produced, important design changes. Teams that used them and were sponsored. The initial reaction to HPA. Team Nitro. The decision to share HPA. The decision to not fight the SP patents. Key games. The design team of the X-mag. The Gardner brothers drilling spiral ports in the first barrels in their garage.

We are reaching a point in paintball where those originally there for key events (was it Bud Orrs fight for paintball in the courtroom of New Jersey?) are leaving and some are going to take great information with them to the grave. Its time to put this information in one spot and open source it (as others are willing) in order to preserve it for the future. Further with open sourced info the possiblity of getting a "coffee table" paintball book comes closer. One of the main hurdles is ownership of the information that has been posted in forums. It is technically published and not free to use. Exact ownership (forum or author) can be debated for a long time. We could argue free use doctrine and fight it out but it would be better if we simply all agreed to what was going to be added to an open source directory to avoid potential problems later

Its reasonable to ask to see exactly what information is being requested to be moved. Ill find it and post it here
    A lot of this is out there, I'd love to fill in the gaps.

Tom, can you start at the Panther and end at the Shoebox 2.0? I'm sure we'd like to know all the gory little details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446

it was RAY GONG who took paintball to court in NJ. ray sometimes played at dave artlers field, pursuit painyball.
    in fact, they held a big game for ray. i was there...