Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cerakote & Mag tolerances

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,140

    Cerakote & Mag tolerances

    Hey guys,

    I'm interested in getting one of my RT classic body cerakoted olive drab as the basis for a tactical looking mag and I was wandering if anyone else had had this done?

    I'm wondering how it will effect the tolerances of a mag? From what I've read about Cerakote, it's adding about 1-2mm thickness. I guess I could lengthen the trigger rod out a smidge if I thought I was getting weird firing problems.

    Anyone done this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,602
    Check with Georgia Gunsmithing. They had a Mag or two that they cerakoted and they seems to turn out very nice. Maybe the mask off the parts that touch to keep tolerances in spec?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    9,333
    I think this is one of the strongest points of the old twist lock mags. The breech is contained in the barrel and all the very sensitive tolerances are contained in the valve. The trigger rod can be adjusted. I might be wrong but I think there is a lot of room for "play" in the tolerances on the main body.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    Check with Georgia Gunsmithing. They had a Mag or two that they cerakoted and they seems to turn out very nice. Maybe the mask off the parts that touch to keep tolerances in spec?

    DO NOT USE THEM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Just read this thread if you don't believe me
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...ting-more.html

    IF and when I get my parts back.. I will be doing a full unboxing and review.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    I think this is one of the strongest points of the old twist lock mags. The breech is contained in the barrel and all the very sensitive tolerances are contained in the valve. The trigger rod can be adjusted. I might be wrong but I think there is a lot of room for "play" in the tolerances on the main body.

    Good point! Thats definately worth considering.

    Yep, I already knew Georgia Gunsmithing totally sucked. They have an extensive complaint thread on MCB.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Konigballer
    From what I've read about Cerakote, it's adding about 1-2mm thickness.
    That looks way high. I thought it was advertised as very thin, more like 1-2 tenths (0.0001-0.0002). I did expect it to be thicker though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    S'toon Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    109
    It's mil's (not mm) which if I remember correctly is .001" for every mil

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,602
    I wasnt aware that Georgia Gunsmithing was having issues. I was just going on memory from some old adverts here on AO. Sorry to hear that he is not keeping up. Seems to be a common ailment for this side of the industry. I wonder if its because they put all their 'real" work ahead of their paintball work?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    I wonder if its because they put all their 'real" work ahead of their paintball work?

    Thats actually exactly what they said. "We got a big contract, blah, blah, blah.." Even though the paintballers paid up first.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Konigballer
    Thats actually exactly what they said. "We got a big contract, blah, blah, blah.." Even though the paintballers paid up first.
    Unfortunately, the hobby side of the business has to be put aside for the part that actually keeps the doors open. Probably not the best example, but I beleive the same thing happened with PTP didnt it? Keep in mind that a lot of the guys doing this stuff are just doing paintball markers on the side for extra cash. They're not paying the bills doing one marker day @ $ 150/marker. While it doesnt make it right, it is what it is.

    Hope the issues get resolved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •