Thread: Total out of left field comment...

Total out of left field comment...

Been out of paintball for a year...and yes it was naive...but I was really hoping the specops Brigade would still be up and running...

Dang it...I kept my kill/death data in a spreadsheet until mid-2011...but when the Brigade went back up, I stopped keeping track. Probably just missing my 2011 Monster Game data...since I think that was the last time I played....sadly...but I'll be damned if I can remember what my stats were that weekend. I know it was hot as **** and I was dirty and exhausted and probably dehydrated...and Team Yellow got their *** handed to them...and I know I didnt do very well either day...wish I woulda kept track of it though.

Nuts.

Are you........ Asian

People keep stats on this type of thing? Really? I don't even know how that would be possible.
    Last edited by OPBN; 11-27-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Yup, out of left field. Maybe right field too... heck the whole outfield it was that bad. Sorry for your loss

Gotta keep it 5th grade and call out "Dork Alert!"

Stats? Really?

Boom Headshot?

I'm confused, keeping stats implies an honor system in a game which is notorious for not always having one...

How do you keep track of who hit who?

I think if you added up how many times everyone on the field thought they got an elimination and how many times they were eliminated you would find people thought there were 2X as many eliminations vs how many times individuals reported being eliminated.

IE there would be a total of 500 reported "kills" and only 250 reported "deaths"
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

^^^ Pretty much my thoughts. How in the world anyone can think they can keep accurate "kill stats" in a game where 100's of people are shooting at each other is a bit ludicrous.

keeping track of your own elimination ratios is rather easy and straight forward. I wouldn't imagine tracking hundreds of other players. I used to track it on my own before the brigade and kept my stats on the brigade for a while and then as I got older, I stopped caring.

What good is a 5:1 ratio if your only playing against unskilled noobies when someone else might be challenging themselves with a 0.25:1 ratio by playing pump against far better players than themselves. The one with the lower ratio may actually be the better player, or at least becoming so over time.

By itself, its an interesting if irrelevant stat. Combined with other stats it can be more informative. But the most important stat though should be the "How-Much-Fun-Am-I-Having Stat". Some of my best moments in paintball came from really wacky situations, like the winter game my gun turned into a paint splooger and I resorted to throwing handfuls of dimpled paint at other players who were like "what the..."

My suggestion esperto is that tracking it is questionable at best. That player you are shooting at, and a teammate is shooting at, that calls out - who takes credit for it? Probably both. The point is the final "kill" to "death" ratio must be 1:1 overall. I suspect, with self reporting, it is closer to 2:1 which is mathematically impossible

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    My suggestion esperto is that tracking it is questionable at best. That player you are shooting at, and a teammate is shooting at, that calls out - who takes credit for it? Probably both. The point is the final "kill" to "death" ratio must be 1:1 overall. I suspect, with self reporting, it is closer to 2:1 which is mathematically impossible
    Oh certainly. At big games especially, I experience and see dozens of "shared" eliminations and how many people will report it as I got 1 player versus I got 1/3 of a player because my two buddies were also loading paint onto that guy. If each reported 1/3 of a "kill" then you still total 1:1 overall. Humans being what we are, we like to beat our chests about our own awesomeness and the one elimination would get counted by all three of the players skewing the self reported results to 3:1.

...unless the hit player also claims that he was eliminated 3 times (or by 3 separate players) in which the self reporting would normalize again closer to the 1:1. Of course, how often are you completely sure of who shot who in the thick of it all? For most people probably less than they think. Only MILES gear or laser tag can probably come that close to regular and accurate reporting.

How does the military make casualty estimations in real conflicts, anyway? Just curious.

So if 3 guys are shooting at one person who calls himself out. If he only got hit with one ball, how can you consider it accurate to mark that for any specific person? I've seen situations in big games where 50-100 people make a major push against another 50-100 people. There are so many eliminations and so much paint flying that it is impossible to truly keep track of your personal eliminations. No way.

I have only heard of concrete numbers for "kills" when speaking of snipers and air to air combat. These are quite easy to confirm. I would imagine death tolls in conflicts are exactly that, "estimated" for the enemy unless actual numbers are provided post war. Obviously, the winner has a better idea of the death toll numbers as they simply count bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    I have only heard of concrete numbers for "kills" when speaking of snipers and air to air combat. These are quite easy to confirm. I would imagine death tolls in conflicts are exactly that, "estimated" for the enemy unless actual numbers are provided post war. Obviously, the winner has a better idea of the death toll numbers as they simply count bodies.
    I'd say even air combat isn't easy to give concrete numbers (without comprehensive AWACS and theater awareness systems) as there are fuel kills or aircraft malfunction kills that one side or the other might not realize. They engage, fight, disengage, and neither side sees anything decisive, then on the way back home, run out of fuel due to a leak or burning through too much in the fight to reach home base. The pilot ditches the aircraft long after the dogfight and long before reaching a friendly airfield.

Not to take this further off topic, though the original topic was silly so who cares, but like esperto said air combat has historically always been difficult to get verified, concrete numbers for kills. What was claimed by the pilot, versus what was awarded to him, and finally what is able to be historically confirmed post-war is often very different. In both World Wars every country had a different confirmation sytem for kills, so it can get confusing finding out who actually shot what down in air combat!

Everybody knows who Manfred Von Richtofen, the Red Baron is, and his WW1 tally of 80 kills has held up remarkably to post-war research. At least 72-74 of his confirmed victories have been able to be verified to match up with British and French casualty records. Thats surprisingly high, especially compared to other famous aces whose tallies require more than a grain of salt to believe.

Randomness, over!

I have to admit I know very little about air combat figures. Just using that as an example. Still has to be more accurate these days than figuring out which one of 20 guys shooting at some kid bunkered in behind a bush actually gets to claim the "kill".

Keeping stats is absurd IMO, but whatever makes it more fun for you.