Thread: Ben Affleck confirmed to play Batman in 2015 Man of Steel sequel

Ben Affleck confirmed to play Batman in 2015 Man of Steel sequel

As the title says, Ben Affleck has been tapped to don the cape and cowl.

Personally, I'm going to try and stay neutral. He's been on a roll lately and has grown considerably since Daredevil. And if you remember, people threw fits when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker.

Thoughts?

I'm not pleased...

I'm not saying he hasn't grown, but he hasn't grown into this role. I've enjoyed his serious roles and his action flicks but I honestly do not believe he has it in him to play Batman, even as a secondary character in a Superman story. He has just as much business wearing that cape as George Clooney did; none.

Crap on this if you will, but I was hoping Patrick Dempsey would end up in the role.

I'm sorry I didnt know batman was set to die yet...

OK. I'm one of the few that liked him as DD. The movie was weak. But not really his fault. But Batman????? Come on now! I'll give him a chance. But I expect nothing good will come of this.

He's got the look. But he's going to HAVE to bring a lot more "smart confidence" to the role than any of his past work. I can't think of him in a movie where he was outgoing and brash, and smart. He was either outgoing and brash (Good Will Hunting) and dumb as a box of rocks, or he was at least moderately intelligent (everything else) yet weak and timid.

A guy who I think has the personality to pull it off, but definitely not the look, is Mark Wahlberg. (Think: Italian Job; Shooter) Same predicament, Matt Damon (Bourne movies)

I guess that's really the question. People all complain about Affleck taking the role, but who did we really WANT in the role in the first place? (Keeping in mind that Bale said that he wouldn't do another Batman role without Nolan.)

I was going to say Sam Worthington or Jeremy Renner. I would probably like just about anyone except Ben Affleck. While he was likeable in a couple of roles, I never got the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I was going to say Sam Worthington or Jeremy Renner. I would probably like just about anyone except Ben Affleck. While he was likeable in a couple of roles, I never got the hype.
    I think Jeremy Renner is a bit of the "flash in the pan" since the Avengers came out. I could TOTALLY see Sam Worthington though.

Personally, I think Kevin Conroy needs to bulk up a little and just do the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    I think Jeremy Renner is a bit of the "flash in the pan" since the Avengers came out. I could TOTALLY see Sam Worthington though.

Personally, I think Kevin Conroy needs to bulk up a little and just do the part.
    Flash in the pan? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0719637/

Once he was in the Avengers, he was being used everywhere. The same thing happened to Vin Diesel when he first really hit, same thing for Sam Worthington. They become the new "it" person.

Once he was in the Avengers, he was being used everywhere. The same thing happened to Vin Diesel when he first really hit, same thing for Sam Worthington. They become the new "it" person.
    I would disagree. I think his role in Hurt Locker was really his first "hit". He's been around for awhile. Just recently saw him in Bourne Legacy and like it.

I would disagree. I think his role in Hurt Locker was really his first "hit". He's been around for awhile. Just recently saw him in Bourne Legacy and like it.
    What about SWAT? He was badass in SWAT.

I remember seeing renner in 28 weeks later, but it wasn't until hurt locker that I actually noted his name. he was fantastic in that movie. he's been nominated for 2 academy awards and has won a bunch of awards for hurt locker and the town (haven't seen the town yet, but heard it was good). I think he's earned enough cred to be considered more than a flash in a pan. with that said though, I don't think he'd be right for batman, especially not an "older" batman as he's supposed to be in this movie.

Really the only thing wrong with anyone donning the role of Batman is consistency. Just when an audience gets used to seeing a person playing the role, their take on both aspects of the character (Batman and Bruce Wayne), then BOOM. No more, and we get someone new. Off the top of my head (not even cheating with IMDB): Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, and now Ben Affleck. Not counting Adam West, all of these have been within the past 25 years or so.

That, and the take of the movie itself has been so different. You've got the medium version played by Keaton, the comic book style played by Kilmer and Clooney (mostly due to the villains), and then the very gritty and most believable style played by Bale (my favorite to date and, again, mostly due to the villains not being so over-the-top cartoonish).

"Bennifer" has been replaced with "Batfleck"

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    What about SWAT? He was badass in SWAT.
    I try to forget that movie. Makes me angry for the part of my life that I lost watching it.

I'm not saying it was a great film or anything, just that he was badass in it. The movie was corny and pulpy and overscripted; to those of us who grew up watching the TV show, it was what we wanted because it rang true to the real thing. That Miami Vice movie a couple years ago was pretty decent, but disappointing that it was all dark and thriller-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    I'm not saying it was a great film or anything, just that he was badass in it. The movie was corny and pulpy and overscripted; to those of us who grew up watching the TV show, it was what we wanted because it rang true to the real thing. That Miami Vice movie a couple years ago was pretty decent, but disappointing that it was all dark and thriller-ish.
    TBH I didn't even remember he was in it. Wasn't a fan of the series. Not that I had anything against it, was just on during a period when I didn't watch much TV. The nostalgia was lost on me.

Considering his stanse on playing superheroes I don't like the thought of him doing batman.

http://www.inquisitr.com/918020/befo...her-superhero/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917465.html

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Really the only thing wrong with anyone donning the role of Batman is consistency. Just when an audience gets used to seeing a person playing the role, their take on both aspects of the character (Batman and Bruce Wayne), then BOOM. No more, and we get someone new. Off the top of my head (not even cheating with IMDB): Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, and now Ben Affleck. Not counting Adam West, all of these have been within the past 25 years or so.

That, and the take of the movie itself has been so different. You've got the medium version played by Keaton, the comic book style played by Kilmer and Clooney (mostly due to the villains), and then the very gritty and most believable style played by Bale (my favorite to date and, again, mostly due to the villains not being so over-the-top cartoonish).
    I can agree with this - however DC is trying to line up their stable of characters for a Justice League movie. And they can't do that with the Nolan incarnation of Batman. Marvel had the right idea by saying "All movies that we do have to have the characters live in ONE universe." DC currently has 3 founding members of the Justice League all in different universes - Nolan's Batman, Man of Steel and Green Lantern.

They need to back Batman out of the hyper realistic universe and get him someplace that can allow for aliens, magic, etc in order to accommodate for characters like Flash, GL, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter - let alone Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by wetwrks View Post
    Considering his stanse on playing superheroes I don't like the thought of him doing batman.

http://www.inquisitr.com/918020/befo...her-superhero/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917465.html
    The inquisitr article reports that Affleck actually said, "By playing a superhero in Daredevil, I have inoculated myself from ever playing another superhero." The article author took this to mean that Affleck was saying he won't ever play another superhero. I don't see it that way. I take it as Affleck was sorry he played Daredevil, which bombed, and that he thought the role spoiled him to be cast as another superhero. The huffingtonpost article was talking about how Affleck didn't care for the Daredevil role again. I actually like that he's being honest about it. It wasn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination.

I can agree with this - however DC is trying to line up their stable of characters for a Justice League movie. And they can't do that with the Nolan incarnation of Batman. Marvel had the right idea by saying "All movies that we do have to have the characters live in ONE universe." DC currently has 3 founding members of the Justice League all in different universes - Nolan's Batman, Man of Steel and Green Lantern.

They need to back Batman out of the hyper realistic universe and get him someplace that can allow for aliens, magic, etc in order to accommodate for characters like Flash, GL, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter - let alone Superman.
    I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, will have to wait for Bluray. But I was hoping that Man of Steel put Superman into the same hyper realistic environment, because I like that better than even what Marvel gave us with The Avengers. I acknowledge that this would be much, much harder to do. But it would be so, so much cooler if it's pulled off correctly.

I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, will have to wait for Bluray. But I was hoping that Man of Steel put Superman into the same hyper realistic environment, because I like that better than even what Marvel gave us with The Avengers. I acknowledge that this would be much, much harder to do. But it would be so, so much cooler if it's pulled off correctly.
    I agree. That's why I liked these batman movies so much. They were as life-like as could be done given the basic premise of the comic.

I dont appreciate what he does to Jen Garner...I just cant look at her like I used to...

Without somebody like Joss Whedon & Kevin Fraige (who's a little busy right now), my hopes of "doing it right" are diminishing.

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    I dont appreciate what he does to Jen Garner...I just cant look at her like I used to...
    It's called getting older and having kids.

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg View Post
    I used to compare it to buying a Lamborghini and driving it straight into a brick wall.