Thread: Help Identifying Old Barrel

Help Identifying Old Barrel

I found an old twistlock 8in barrel, and for the life of me I can't recall what it is. I want to say it's a BOA, but I haven't been able to find another one like it to confirm. I'd appreciate any help in identification and potential value, if known.

Here it is and thanks for looking:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90934529@N06/
    Last edited by badpennny; 12-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badpennny
    I found an old twistlock 8in barrel, and for the life of me I can't recall what it is. I want to say it's a BOA, but I haven't been able to find another one like it to confirm. I'd appreciate any help in identification and potential value, if known.

Here it is and thanks for looking:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90934529@N06/8258843538/
    I can't say I've ever seen a BOA like that before. The material seems too thick - most BOA barrels have a relatively thick base, and then a shoulder. The majority of the length of the barrel is much narrower, and made of thinner material. These are both BOA barrels:

Still, that's a really neat piece you have there!

perhaps a stock minimag barrel that's been milled .... it looks similar to the tips that white wolf did for freak barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Coralis
    perhaps a stock minimag barrel that's been milled .... it looks similar to the tips that white wolf did for freak barrels
    This was my thought as well. Looks like a minimag barrel that someone had some work done on.

Definitely looks like a custom milled barrel. Most likely a stock minimag barrel that was milled.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm leaning towards custom as well...I just added some photos with a stock minimag barrel for reference (updated link in first post).

Some other observations...it's heavier than the stock barrel, and the finish has what I can only describe as a "machined" look. I had this is my minimag for a bit, but it would make this awful "ding" sound every time I fired. Not sure if it was the way it contacted with the inside of the minimag's extended body or just how the force of the bolt resonated given the fluted design of the barrel.

it would make this awful "ding" sound every time I fired. Not sure if it was the way it contacted with the inside of the minimag's extended body or just how the force of the bolt resonated given the fluted design of the barrel.
    Have you heard the noise crownpoint barrels make? was it similar? i rather enjoy that noise!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm leaning towards custom as well...I just added some photos with a stock minimag barrel for reference (updated link in first post).

Some other observations...it's heavier than the stock barrel, and the finish has what I can only describe as a "machined" look. I had this is my minimag for a bit, but it would make this awful "ding" sound every time I fired. Not sure if it was the way it contacted with the inside of the minimag's extended body or just how the force of the bolt resonated given the fluted design of the barrel.
    I could see it making a harmonic "ping" similar to a crown point barrel, considering how it's milled. Is it aluminum or stainless? Stock AGD barrels were all aluminum, from what I remember. If it's stainless steel, or even hard chromed brass, then it isn't a milled stock barrel - it's custom.

That thing looks sweet as sin.

If you want to trade or sale it let me know.

I remember seeing ads for those in APG back in the day but I cant remember what they are called.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    That thing looks sweet as sin.

If you want to trade or sale it let me know.
    What he said

They were called twister barrels, a friend had one on his f-1 Illustrator that ended up getting chucked out in the swamp because it performed so horribly.

Styg
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

Quote Originally Posted by StygShore
    They were called twister barrels, a friend had one on his f-1 Illustrator that ended up getting chucked out in the swamp because it performed so horribly.

Styg

Ah, thanks! I think I got it about 13 years ago on Ebay. It looked cool and I like shorter barrels. I never had horrible performance with it, I just never cared for the sound it made (I'm sure it's not the most efficient with HPA either).

For those of you who asked, yes, I will likely sell it. I'm trying to get some other things lined up for a sale thread as well. I'll do my best to PM whoever expressed interest here once I'm ready to post with a price and/or trade wants.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Quote Originally Posted by sQuidvision
    Have you heard the noise crownpoint barrels make? was it similar? i rather enjoy that noise!
    Never had a crownpoint Squid, so I couldn't say. Seems that if the fluted ports don't turn heads, the sound it makes definitely will!

I had this is my minimag for a bit, but it would make this awful "ding" sound every time I fired. Not sure if it was the way it contacted with the inside of the minimag's extended body or just how the force of the bolt resonated given the fluted design of the barrel.
    It was called "spring ping" which was the sound of the bolt compressing the spring against the metal body washer and resonating along the barrel. The crown point barrels acted like a tuning fork and I suspect this barrel probably has the right length, mass, and shape to do the same.

I remember seeing someone use an o-ring over the ports in an attempt to dampen the resonance, and cut the pinging sound. I can't recall how well it actually worked.
    "My Jell-O is dying in the audience..."
    Merrill Howard Kalin