Thread: Classic 68 valve starving?

Classic 68 valve starving?

I've acquired an old Classic 68 mag in need of some tlc. Unsure how many years it spent in the bottom of the previous owner's gearbag, but it gasses up fine and chrono'ed fine around 280fps... As long as I don't pull the trigger faster than 2 pulls per second. Anything faster and the sound signature changes and velocity drops. It sounds like the valve is starving for air.

So who's the culprit? Old classic valve or crappy HPA tank? I've tested the marker with a Pure Energy 48cu steelie and I know that these regs sometimes have recharge issues.

Thoughts?

Issue solved, thanks to the numerous replies!

Oh wait, I didn't get any

Teaching yourself how to fish is always a +

Let me guess. LP tank or a old style on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    Teaching yourself how to fish is always a +

Let me guess. LP tank or a old style on/off.
    Old style on/off, the brass cross-shaped top was put upside down.

And you're right, nothing beats hands-on experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Hook
    Old style on/off, the brass cross-shaped top was put upside down.

And you're right, nothing beats hands-on experience!
    Ya...I hate that stupid castle top on/off. Usually when you have that thing upside down it leaks too.

Glad you got it fixed.

If you are running one of the old classic valves with the X on-off top, you may also have one of the backs that has a hole that does not line up with the hole in the front half. Its easy to check by screwing the valve apart and marking the position of the holes on the outside of the valve and then screwing it back together. If the holes don't line up, it is easy to drill a new hole in the back half that lines up with the one in the front half. You just have to make sure you do it on an angle so that the hole goes into the front of the regulator piston area and not beside it. By lining up the holes, you will reduce any potential valve starvation. If you have one of the newer classic valves, the indexing they did when cutting the threads allowed them to all line up properly anyway.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.