Thread: small bore automag barrels?

small bore automag barrels?

What automag twist lock barrels were made with a small bore? Most old barrels are too large for modern paint.

you wont find any because the bolts are like .685 only option for small bore is use a freak style barrel or use a cocker threaded body.

Small bore barrels are very overrated right now. The paint all across the board is horrendous.

A multi-bore barrel is the better option as it can change with the paint. Finding a twist lock freak is difficult but not impossible.

If you don't want a freak & want single bore barrels. Look for Lapcos. I love the older Lapcos. You may find a microshot(.684 bore or smaller) or a Autospirit(.686 bore). Lapco also did small runs of odd bore sizes. So contact Lapco direct. Calling would be better than their website, and see what they might dig up for you.

Cyco-Dude Guest
    there were very few small bored twistlock barrels from what i've come across...there were some from smart parts and custom products...maybe boa. palmers can make them in .685. be mindful if you plan to use a lvl 10 bolt with one...the OD of the lvl 10 bolt nose measures ~.687, and can jam unless you grind it down.

as an aside, lapco bores are awesome...very well polished. if you break a ball, just run an exalt barrel maid through it (which are awesome swabs), and it looks like nothing happened.
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 05-23-2015 at 09:03 PM.

i've got a couple of J&J 2 piece that are the smallest bore twistlocks i've found yet. i don't have a tru bore guage(you would think i would as many shotguns as i own) but with a micrometer they come in at 685ish

As long as your barrel isn't too short (~8"-10") you don't loose much overbored. With some silly 672 paint, a J&J 14" with a good detent worked as good as ever recently.

Not mine, but saw this on eBay...
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/161694036615?nav=SEARCH

Cyco-Dude Guest
    nice, but expensive. i'm skeptical that the bore size is as listed...

You also get some nice bolt stick from small bore barrels as I discovered two weeks ago with a Freak Kit.

Doc's cocker to twistlock adapter is the way to go - one AC threaded freak back now fits most of my guns, no more worries about only having huge bore twistlock barrels.