Thread: Pump Mag: X-Valve with Lvl-7 bolt?

Pump Mag: X-Valve with Lvl-7 bolt?

I finally got out and played a little with my pump mag, and after a day of play I started thinking about the possibility of long term wear on the bolt. It would really suck if repeatedly slamming the lvl-x bolt caused the edge to deform..and I know that sear engagement can be temperamental.

I haven't heard anyone mention this as a problem, but all the same if there's a way to make it a non issue I'd like to try.

To that end I was wondering if it's possible to downgrade my x-valve to a lvl7 bolt when I play pump. There are plenty of cheap, spare lvl 7 bolts floating around. If it's possible what parts would I need? Just the bolt and some older power tube spacers?
    Last edited by 2xFast; 12-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    faster is better...

P

You'll need a lvl 7 bolt, lvl 7 power tube tip, best to buy a spacer kit and the oring that goes inside.

Just pull all the lvl 10 guts out and install the lvl 7 bolt, you'll be fine. I do it all the time.

Do as Ando mentioned.

The pump setups were designed for the level 7 bolts and all mag valves will accept them.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Put your lvl 10 parts in a baggy and keep it with the marker. If/when you want to swap back, it's just as easy and no retuning required. One thing I did with all my pump kits was changed the pump arm out with a brass one. I as did BigEvil had our bolts get destroyed by the rods. Brass will give before the SS Bolt. Rods are less then $2 compared to buying a new bolt.

Level 7 is fine for pump, easier to set up and uses less air too. Good point on the bolt wear though and I'll keep an eye on mine. No sign of any wear on the XM15 kit I use as yet. I did file a slight radius in the pump rod to remove the sharp point, so that may have helped protect the bolt.

Just a thought, but you can usually pick up a complete classic valve for around $40-$50 or so, then you can quickly swap out the entire valve when you want to play pump and not worry about lossing any parts.

Downside is the weight of the classic which is why a lot of pumpers stick with the X valve

I manage to shoot a classic on mine just fine because I'm not a 7 stone weakling