Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AO Needs a NEW LOOK, any Volunteers?

If people are concerned about their feedback threads being found, put them in your signature and use a link-shortening website like bit.ly. This way you will always have it AND it will fit in the space requirements.

Don't be afraid of change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    If people are concerned about their feedback threads being found, put them in your signature and use a link-shortening website like bit.ly. This way you will always have it AND it will fit in the space requirements.

I cant put my feedback in my signature unless I delete the picture, it only lets you do 2 lines with less then 250 characters... 2 links is apperently longer then that

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    I really like the idea of bringing feedback up to date. I know at first it will suck for some people who have huge feedback threads. But, in the long run, it will be better (more convenient) for everyone. There's no reason you would not be able to keep your old feedback threads for reference. If you're truly a good/bad buyer/seller. They will quickly be reflected in the new system as well.

Our feedback system is not what defines us as AO. It's our brand loyalty, our love of the sport, and our respect for other players that define the AO community.

I have 8 years of feedback, 224 replies and 18,689 views, so you got one thing right it will suck for people who have huge feedback threads.
    Last edited by luke; 01-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post

Are you talking about keeping our existing feedback threads or a new format?
    Last edited by luke; 01-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.

do a search for mine... for some reason it only shows 2 results for "btautomag"

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    do a search for mine... for some reason it only shows 2 results for "btautomag"
    I did an edit on the 2 posts above, the search does not work in buyer/trader feedback, I wonder if it is even turned on?

I searched for my thread and it didnt show up and I'm on the first page.

You could lock the feedback forum and keep it for reference, like we do with some of the other historic threads/forums. That way those are never lost and we could update.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

I did a general search for my name in the search forum and nothing came up, looks to me like "search by name" is turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    That’s an interesting perspective; I did a search for your feedback and didn't find a thread.
    I have 8 years of feedback, 224 replies and 18,689 views, so you got one thing right it will suck for people who have huge feedback threads.
    That is funny, Luke. Have you tried to search for your own feedback thread? The reason mine is not coming up in a search is not because I do not have one. It is not coming up in a search for the same reason your feedback thread is not coming up in searches. Searching does not seem to be working on older threads right now.

I do have a feedback thread. Granted, it is not nearly as impressive as yours is. You can tell two things by my join date and activity. I have not been on the forum nearly as long as you have been and I am mostly a lurker. But, I still know your reputation and those of most, if not all, of the other active, long-time members. It does not take a feedback thread to know you do awesome milling work.

Edit: The above was all written before you all posted about not being able to find anything by searching.

Yeah, I couldn't find mine either that way.

I honestly don't understand why you'd even be concerned. With a reputation like yours, you don't even need a feedback thread. It's just about as absurd as someone saying that they need references before they send Tuna a marker for tuning.

All of this is said mildly tongue-in-cheek, but it's got a big element of truth in it. Basically, anyone who has a huge amount of feedback to lose will find that they likely lost the need for it long ago.

luke, if you lose your feedback thread and have to start over at a 0 rating, I'll still have no problem sending work your way or dealing with you just as before.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    I cant put my feedback in my signature unless I delete the picture, it only lets you do 2 lines with less then 250 characters... 2 links is apperently longer then that
    Tom's working out the kinks. That's an easy setting to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    luke, if you lose your feedback thread and have to start over at a 0 rating, I'll still have no problem sending work your way or dealing with you just as before.
    I dont think we could trust luke's quality if his feedback was reset to 0

I honestly don't understand why you'd even be concerned. With a reputation like yours, you don't even need a feedback thread. It's just about as absurd as someone saying that they need references before they send Tuna a marker for tuning.

All of this is said mildly tongue-in-cheek, but it's got a big element of truth in it. Basically, anyone who has a huge amount of feedback to lose will find that they likely lost the need for it long ago.

Because it is important and people do use it.
    It's not about how many posts there are in the thread but how many times it has been viewed.
    With almost 19,000 views you can't convince it's not important. If it were just about a reputation people would not bother to look me up.
    It's not about old customers it about new ones.
    Last edited by luke; 01-03-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Exclamation

I had to do a Google search to find my feedback.

yea, i dont think search is working well

gallery of custom mags... not a thread like if u do a image search.... to show all the different mags

I love Google. Couldn't find mine on the forums

With almost 19,000 views you can't convince it's not important. If it were just about a reputation people would not bother to look me up.
    That's a point well taken. But we know that at least 11,000 of those views are from you, pulling a Homer Simpson on the F5 Key.

Name:  drinking_bird.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  22.8 KB

I haven’t the foggiest idea what that means and I also know that my opinion has nothing to do with what will end up happening here, so arguing my point is a waste of time. I’ve stated my point, now I’m over it, whatever happens, happens.

As long as the old feedback threads are accessible I don't have a problem with changing how they are done. I don't sell nearly as much these days as I used to and would like to be able to point people to the old thread if necessary.

I haven’t the foggiest idea what that means...
    Oh, it was just some bad humor I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The drinking bird has been used in many fictional contexts to automatically press buttons. In The Simpsons episode "King-Size Homer", Homer used one to repeatedly press a key on a computer keyboard.
    Example for laughs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapECJKx4k0
    The F5 key is used to refresh a page on most internet browsers.
    Last edited by Justus; 01-03-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    As long as the old feedback threads are accessible I don't have a problem with changing how they are done.
    Agreed. In any event, there's no reason to go and delete the old feedback threads. Even PbN kept the "old" and the "new" when they switched, didn't they? I saw so many sigs with links to both.

Well that escalated quickly.....

Anywho.... What would you guys want to see as far as a theme goes.... Would you want to keep it the same as AO or something totally different? I have a few ideas, but would love to hear suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Well that escalated quickly.....

Anywho.... What would you guys want to see as far as a theme goes.... Would you want to keep it the same as AO or something totally different? I have a few ideas, but would love to hear suggestions.
    Whoops, didn't mean to give the impression that anything was escalating. I'll try to no longer crack jokes that could be taken that way.

I like the original idea you had, Bunny, about a "light" theme and a "dark" theme. The original AO colors were a nice medium and I'd have no problem going back to that either. The current form isn't bad once you get used to it, but it is rather bland and "OEM" feeling. With some tweaking it could function as the "light" option.

Whoops, didn't mean to give the impression that anything was escalating. I'll try to no longer crack jokes that could be taken that way.

I like the original idea you had, Bunny, about a "light" theme and a "dark" theme. The original AO colors were a nice medium and I'd have no problem going back to that either. The current form isn't bad once you get used to it, but it is rather bland and "OEM" feeling. With some tweaking it could function as the "light" option.
    right...I think everyone got it but him. lol

Justus: Lol, No worries. I got your joke as well. I didn't think the feedback idea would be that crazy, but I guess it's a hot topic. I'm quite surprised on how many page views feedback threads have. My main focus will be a few really cool designs. If I can sneak in a few add-ons/features I will

The good part is, add-ons are usually mods that are used across all templates. But for that, we'd need to test it on our dev environment first, and then have Tom install here.

Dayspring: What do you think of the CMS tool in vbulletin. I think it would be a great addition to this site. There are many informative posts that seem to get lost in the shuffle and I think that the built-in CMS would be perfect. I would love to be able to have posts be promoted to articles on the fly. I also think this would be a great way to organize the large amount of information we have.

I don't have that version of VBulletin unfortunately. I don't know what Tom purchased.