Thread: Got a new Mag. ReTro Valve sputters and double shoots

Got a new Mag. ReTro Valve sputters and double shoots

I purchased from a local baller a very nice Minimag with a reverse-ported, level 7 Retro valve. It also came with a 3K Flatline.

When gassed, the valve either sputters or double shoots like those old Proline autoresponse frames, and shoots on trigger pull and on release. The valve has an on/off with a filed-down pin and the valve is one of the newer ones which accepts the ULT.

What I've done so far:
    -I've cleaned the valve internals, cleaned and lubed the o-rings.
    -I've tried the gun with the Flatline reg (set at 1000psi) and with a Ninja 68/4500 @ 850psi
    -I replaced the on/off with short pin with an unmodified one I had in my parts box
    -I tried a different sear/sear pin
    -I tired the valve on a different rail/body/frame
    -There's a leak when holding the trigger down, so I checked the o-ring and cleaned the cavity. No improvements.

Then I decided to check my on/off's pin length and that's when I saw something odd. It looks awfully short, it's .710 instead of the usual .750. The spare on/off I has an even shorter pin, so I dunno. Think that might be part of the issue?

I would say the on/off pin is a good place to start. Too bad you didnt post this up a couple of days ago, as I have an extra .750 pin sitting here that I could have put in the box along with the bike grip...lol.

LOL! Oh well, I PM'ed you over at BEO

That short pin should be the source of the fire-on-release. You might be able to tighten the field strip screw down to help it. You can also try a thin brass washer on top of the top on/off o-rings to reverse-shim it. A quad o-ring will also make up the difference.

All of those are not as good a regular on/off with the right pin.

Interesting, will give that a try!

Otherwise, I've contacted Tuna for a replacement pin and an o-ring kit. Should be good as new after that.

*EDIT*

Tightened the thumb screw with an Allen key and that solved it. On/off pin is the culprit.
    Last edited by Hook; 01-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Tightening the thumbscrew would have squeezed the valve down a little tighter to the rail allowing the sear to push the pin farther into the oring.

It sounds like you have an emag on-off pin rather than a standard on-off pin. I think once you get a proper pin in there it will work fine without problems and won't need extra tight thumbscrew tightening.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.