Thread: AGD Pump kit/body rub?

AGD Pump kit/body rub?

So I have an original type AGD pump kit sitting in front of me. I was mocking some thing up to see where I wanted to go with this and noticed that the pump handle kind of rubs the body a bit. It currently doesnt have a pump/cocking rod, but even when I hold it really carefully, it seems to still kind of skim the body. Now I definitely dont want to go through the effort of building a pump where the handle constantly rubs the body. Is there a quick fix for this or is it just something indicative to these kits? I was planning on using a ULE body and getting it anodize all pretty like, but might have to consider other options if I have to deal with rub.

Also, anyone out there know where I can get a pump/cocking rod? I do not want to use a coat hanger. Looking for something a little less ghettotastic.

I've seen a few AGD pumps that have scuffed the annodising on alloy bodies. I'm sure tolerances vary between kits so some rub more than others, and it would be less noticable on a stainless body than the ULE. You could get the top face of the pump machined for extra clearance.

had the same issue on my cerberus kit and sold it because of it

I did find that I didnt have the front screw that holds the handle back wasnt on all the way. Tightening this up moved the handle back a little so that it sit under the front lip of the body which seems to make it better. I will probably put a piece of electrical tape on the top of the pump handle in between the body and handle to ensure no scraping once I have it all together.

A SS body isnt in the cards for this one.

I had the front of my ULE body squared off to account for this.

You could probably use a level 10 shim (or two) to space is down a bit too.
    ......You know you want one!!

Like what that guy said above me. You can shim it. Just place a washer between the rail and pump, wrench it down and you should be fine. I did the same to one of my kits. As for the pump rod. Head over to a hobby store, they sell brass and steel rods that will work. Ace sells them too.

Lowe's sells steel rod as well... you should go titanium or something sexy like that check online, i know i found stainless or titanium when i was anodizing out of my garage

Quote Originally Posted by rukh013 View Post
    Lowe's sells steel rod as well... you should go titanium or something sexy like that check online, i know i found stainless or titanium when i was anodizing out of my garage
    Not the proper size though. they only sell 1/8. It's smaller then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Not the proper size though. they only sell 1/8. It's smaller then that.
    I'm assuming I can just use a caliper on an XM15 rod and it should be the same right?

Is the handle delrin? Could you sand the handle down a little to clear up the interference?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    Is the handle delrin? Could you sand the handle down a little to clear up the interference?
    Its aluminum. And I think I have it cleared up. Kind of on to making the pump rod.