Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump Mag Opinions needed...

The XM15 is a much simpler design

The handle is bored right through and a large allen bolt screwed into the end of the main rod holds it on

thats how the new rainman kits are and they don't rotate

I have owned an agd pump kit, an agd blem pump kit, a cerberus pump kit, a phantom, and a older Carter mini comp. I personally prefer the pump mags. The design is simple, the pump stroke is super smooth, and if I want to switch it to semi it takes only a couple of minutes to remove the spring from the valve and the pump rod.

I have a Cerberus kit on a mag i love it. Well after a little tweaking, it is quite smooth. I have alot of fun with it and have no issues playing with or against people using any other brand with or with out auto trigger.

Let me add a question about maintenance and longevity then... For those who play every other week, how often are you changing out your wave spring. Will a wave spring go through a long day of play (1500 paintballs)?

I really want something reliable to play with, and it seems like most of you had to go through 2 to 3 projects before you had something that you loved. The pumpmag concept is great, I just ope I don't have to go through $1000 before I have something that works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacko View Post
    Let me add a question about maintenance and longevity then... For those who play every other week, how often are you changing out your wave spring. Will a wave spring go through a long day of play (1500 paintballs)?

I really want something reliable to play with, and it seems like most of you had to go through 2 to 3 projects before you had something that you loved. The pumpmag concept is great, I just ope I don't have to go through $1000 before I have something that works well.
    Now Ive been told repeatedly that my wave spring must be a fluke. It is the original wave spring that was with the kit when I bought it from AGD back in 2002? or sometime around there. I used it heavily for 6-7 years. Put many many cases thru that gun. It is still in the gun without any issues.

Others have told me and I have seen others break the springs regularly. But they are using the springs that came from other sources not AGD

The original wave spring in my XM15 kit is over 2 years old and must have fired over 10,000 shots now

There are different quality springs out there... the AGD and it looks like the Rainman kit springs are a better quality then the ones that came with the Cerberus kits. I destroy those fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...ps62ed425a.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...ps674cfb39.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...ps022c45a1.jpg

look close to where to the pump rod screws into the pump plate. it is taped for a small set screw. that set screw goes down into the slot on the quide rod and holds the pump arm on the rod. he was saying that the set screw backs out and the pump arm comes off the front.

sorry i couldnt get better pics i found these online somewhere. like everyone has said he changed the design later to be more like the agd kits.
    good pics, yeah that's the problem. the lead on the screw was also too course, and the slot too shallow, so a 1/4 or 1/8 of a turn would be from in contact with the pump rod, to almost all the way out of the slot.

then, i am finger bang the snot out of my pump guns when i play, so even if there was a bit in the slot, i could pull the pump handle right off the front, and not be able to get it back on again without an allen key.

there are about a half dozen different ways to do that without there being an issue, so i was sorely disappointed in my rainman kit. otherwise, i loved everything about the gun. esp the not having to bore or underbore your paint.
    Last edited by AO Moderation Team; 01-24-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: remove img tags in quote
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

As far as life span i have about 4 cases through mine with a Cerberus included wave spring. It is holding up just fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    where to the pump rod screws into the pump plate. it is taped for a small set screw. that set screw goes down into the slot on the quide rod and holds the pump arm on the rod. he was saying that the set screw backs out and the pump arm comes off the front.
    That was probably a five minute fix at best.

Yep sounds like the slot needed to be cut a little deeper and loctite used on screw

It's been a long time since I posted here. The new forum look seems alien to me, but glad AO is here to stay!

Anyway on to the thread topic.

Here's my opinion/experience:

Shoot what you like. Try out your friends pump markers and try em out for a full day so you really get to sample them.

I started playing pump with a Worr Games Sniper, but once I got my hands on an Automag Pump, I was hooked. I've been playing competitive Pump tournaments since 2004. Since then Pump Play has grown in popularity and the format has changed from limited formats to unlimited formats to NPPL round robin style to X-ball style. So there is valid reason to need auto-trigger these days, so much more paint is shot now. Some teams make it rain like mech semis at times but I still prefer my Automag Pump. I still really just want that 1 shot kill.

I also shoot the Azodin Pump and SM-1 pump at tournaments but I always prefer my PumpMag! It's good to be able to shoot any marker, especially if a gun goes down.

Over the course of a year, playing nearly every weekend, I would have to replace my PumpMag's wave spring at least once or twice during the year. I've been on the phone with one of the wave spring manufacturers who told me that the wave springs weren't really meant to compress completely flat, so that's why over time they do eventually break. Rainman is a good guy - I have not shot or used his CCM kit, but I bought wave springs from him - he's easy to contact and fast to ship.

I have shot and own the original AGD kit and use the Cerberus kit and really love both. I've assembled and pieced several versions of these and converted Automags to pump versions for a couple of good friends.

I suggest going to an AO meet and try em out. As stated above, if you end up not liking it you could always resell and get your money back or keep it as a semi.

BTW deciding to play pump is a win win situation, your skills will really get good if you stay with it. Ask any of the AO SoCal guys, when I joined AO in 2006 I was the only one other than Shrub and Dm4don3 that played pump. Now almost everyone of the regular AOSoCal guys has some type of pump in their arsenal and owns the field with it!