Thread: E-mag advice and/or help.

E-mag advice and/or help.

So, my first emag is being shipped to me now. According to the previous owner, the gun has been sitting for about six years. Other than going through the valve, is there anything else I should look to service before I air it up and let it rip? I'm slightly concerned about the batteries. Two included. But, after sitting for that long, what's the chances they're gonna work properly? Also, is there anyone I can send this to for a software update? I'm aware emag boards are most often found sitting at the end of rainbows and the leprechauns aren't often willing to let them go. So, what other options do I have? Thanks!

I can almost guarantee the batteries are toast. You should be able to get them rebuilt, just find a batteries plus or maybe a RadioShack. I think Cougar may be offering them now as well.

Tuna is the man when it comes to E-Mags. Get the battery rebuilt and send it to him for tuning. His prices are actually reasonable IMO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I can almost guarantee the batteries are toast. You should be able to get them rebuilt, just find a batteries plus or maybe a RadioShack. I think Cougar may be offering them now as well.

Tuna is the man when it comes to E-Mags. Get the battery rebuilt and send it to him for tuning. His prices are actually reasonable IMO as well.
    I figured his name would be the one to come up first. Tuna, that is.

Tuna just tuned mine.. Plus he can get batteries.

I recommend him too.

But if you are looking to work on it yourself tune the valve... Level 10 if it doesn't have it already... Check the batteries... And oil.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post

Toast just based off of the age alone?

Quote Originally Posted by emcl29 View Post
    Toast just based off of the age alone?
    Yes. Batteries have a shelf life. Of course I would recommend trying to charge them, but I would be exceedingly surprised if they hold a charge for very long.

Had no idea what the shelf life would be, I am in a similar situation. Thanks!

Batteries do have a shelf life, and would normally be ok if new at this age, but not used at this age. The real problem is when they are not new and the sit for long periods of time in a discharged state. The cell electrodes develop a coating that prevents the proper charge and discharge of the cells. Once this happens, the battery is pretty much toast in most cases.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Is it dead?

So, I borrowed a charger and charged my Emag battery that had been sitting for years. I checked the voltage and it was about 19.3 V. I hooked it up to my mag, the board came on so I was off to a good start. I did not have any air so I fired about 2000 shots in E mode (with the mechanical safety on). I could hear the solenoid activating each time I fired. I checked the voltage after the 2000 shots and it was about 18.3 V.

Does this indicate that the battery is in decent shape or given its age, should I expect it to crap out in the near future?

With no air the solenoid isn't really working under much of a load so it could be misleading. You can always try it and see what happens though, nice thing about emag is... if your battery dies during a game, you switch to mech and keep going.

Yeah, I assumed that it would not draw as much current, just did not know how little. Going out to play would probably be the only sure fire (see what I did there) way to test it out.

You are not going to know if it is good until you air it up and see if it activates the solenoid. I've seen them charge up to 20+ volts and still not work.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by emcl29 View Post
    Yeah, I assumed that it would not draw as much current, just did not know how little. Going out to play would probably be the only sure fire (see what I did there) way to test it out.
    It will attempt to draw as much current at a given voltage, no matter what the conditions. However, if the internal resistance of the batteries in the pack is increased due to corroded plates, then the voltage will collapse under load. It won't be evident when firing without a load on the pin, because the solenoid can still move quite well on its own. Air up the valve and try it. If it still works without a hitch then you might be ok. Usually, an older battery with increased internal resistance causes problems when trying to deliver a high current to a load. I'm guessing that even if the battery does work, it won't have the long term capacity. That doesn't mean it won't work for you for a low number of shots in a day, it just means you might have to charge it after 5000 shots instead of 20000 shots.