Thread: classic RT sear question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

classic RT sear question

I am trying to ressurect a classic RT that has been sitting unused for about 12 years. Thought I lost it in a move, but found it this winter. The sear is chipped on the bolt catch, see picture if I can get them to upload. I believe it is a carbide tip. I am looking to replace the sear and came across one for a RT Pro. I have read mixed answers on here, just wondering if this will work for the classic. Some have said no, some have said just adjust the rod. None of the sears I find have the carbide tip, so I'm assuming AGD has moved away from them. ( been out of the game for a while...)
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Name:  sear1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  20.0 KBName:  sear2.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  23.5 KB

I believe you are correct. I think the original sears had the , what I call, "brazed" sears. I've never seen one that wasn't an original. I think they figured out they wouldn't hold up due to being brittle. I've currently got one in the same condition, and its about to get replaced with a RT Pro sear.

Quote Originally Posted by dboggs79 View Post
    I believe you are correct. I think the original sears had the , what I call, "brazed" sears. I've never seen one that wasn't an original. I think they figured out they wouldn't hold up due to being brittle. I've currently got one in the same condition, and its about to get replaced with a RT Pro sear.
    Great! Let me know if the RT Pro sear does, or doesn't work. Would love to use it, don't want to spend too much money as I am (probably) going to sell this when I get it up and running.

Yes, the RTPro sear is what you need. The type you have were discontinued because they did what yours does or in the case of the one I had, the carbide piece actually just seperates from the main sear. You will have to most likely adjust the sear rod to the proper length. If you buy a new one, contact Tuna or AGD directly and they have them preadjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Yes, the RTPro sear is what you need. The type you have were discontinued because they did what yours does or in the case of the one I had, the carbide piece actually just seperates from the main sear. You will have to most likely adjust the sear rod to the proper length. If you buy a new one, contact Tuna or AGD directly and they have them preadjusted.
    Thanks for the input. Can I just match the length to my current sear (the broken one?)

Quote Originally Posted by sdn137 View Post
    Thanks for the input. Can I just match the length to my current sear (the broken one?)
    That would make sense. I think there is a sticky somewhere around here as well with tolerances in it.