Thread: painting hoppers?

painting hoppers?

so ive got a couple 50 round hoppers that i wanted to paint, probably spray paint, anyone ever try this? does it chip off or stick pretty well? clear coat for shine? thanks

The paint needs to be able to adhere to plastic and be flexible. Any good quality acrylic paint should work. Remember to lightly sand the plastic with a fine sandpaper before applying the paint. Paint in several light coats.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I've painted a few plastic things such as masks and hoppers with mixed results. The harder plastice pieces tend to tak the paint better and less cracking occurs, but painting flexible parts like mask bottoms usually results in cracks after a fairly short time in my experience. I will say that I also was using basic flat Krylon camo colors without a clear coat. I did thoroughly wash the parts with a degreaser and afterwards again with denatured alcohol. I didnt use primer either, so not sure it that was part of the issue.

For me though, it didnt really matter as the items I painted were painted camo so the cracking and chipping actually helped the camo effect IMO.

I like krylon fusion paint for plastics seems to hold up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk View Post
    I like krylon fusion paint for plastics seems to hold up very well.
    Problem I found at the time was the colors offered sucked. While pretty for plastic lawn furniture, not quite appropriate for camo.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Problem I found at the time was the colors offered sucked. While pretty for plastic lawn furniture, not quite appropriate for camo.
    Their camo paint i think is the fusion blend as well. I have used that on all kinds of things from plastic to steel.

any rc hobby shop stocks polycarbonate paint that is great. tons of colors as well.

Aside from good ol' rattlecans, you can always Mod Podge a camo print to the plastic. I've heard that holds up really well, even on flexible parts like mask bottoms.