Thread: carrier oring break in?

carrier oring break in?

so i had a slight leak on one of my mags that wouldnt go away so i got a new oring for the carrier and messed with the level 10. no leaks or anything like that but when i went out to play, the first shot would come out with nothing behind it(like i was shooting under 100fps)...after the first shot it would shoot great; if i wouldn't shoot for a little while, same thing would happen, i played the rest of the day but tended to hold the trigger down until i was going to shoot so i wouldn't have the first lobbed ball.... never had this problem before and was just wondering if its still breaking in the oring or do i need to tune my level 10 a little more? thanks in advanced...

It sounds like the carrier is still one size too tight.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I'll try to go up one more...thanks

Sounds like two problems. The regulator should keep the dump chamber filled. Your reg piston may be sticking in addition to your power tube leak. The pt leak should need a tighter carrier. If it's an rt type valve, your reg pin may be sticky

I doubt its the regulator pin assembly. The low velocity shot after sitting for a while is caused when the carrier oring sticks to the bolt stem and the friction increases. When the shot is fired, the bolt moves slowly and releases just enough air to push the ball out the barrel and then allow the bolt to reset. Without the full speed of the bolt, the forward momentum of the bolt is not high enough to allow the bolt to stay forward long enough to release a full discharge of air, or the bolt releases enough air to push the ball forward before the bolt is fully forward. Either case results in a low velocity shot. Since this all takes place after the trigger is held, the regulator pin has no affect on the chamber pressure at this point.

Holding the trigger back allows the carrier oring to sit in an uncompressed state which means it isn't stuck to the bolt stem. When you release the trigger it compresses the oring causing it to move slightly, plus it wasn't stuck to the bolt stem to start with. When you pull the trigger now, the bolt fires normally due to the low friction state of the carrier oring.

If the next larger carrier size causes a slight leak for some reason, you can manually break in your oring using your smaller carrier. Wipe all of the oil off the bolt stem and from the inside of the oring because you don't want any friction reduction when doing this. With the bolt out of the gun, place the carrier/oring combination on the bolt stem and slide it up and down the bolt stem. If you do this a few thousand times, it will be the same as firing the gun and breaking in the oring without putting wear and tear on the bolt spring or other parts and will not use any air. It just takes some time. Using an even tighter carrier will place more friction on the oring and decrease the amount of cycles you need to do.