Thread: Content Management System for Automags.org

Exclamation Content Management System for Automags.org

AO: This idea has been floating around in my head for a while. What do you guys think of trying to get Tom to enable the CMS feature for Vbulletin. If you don't know what it is, basically it is like the old prototype lab pages that AO had before the update. It would be a place that would display the best information AO has to offer. Some of the best answers for questions are buried deep inside AO, if we can enable this feature we could build webpages to display the content a lot more efficiently.

Heres a sample of what it actually is.... Please use your imagination...

Categories:
    • Tech Guides with Video embedded.
    • Picture Galleries
    • Historical AO Posts
    • Prototype Lab
    • Retro AGD
    • The ability to convert a post into a webpage

I'm sitting on a pile of random AGD picture/data throughout the years and would love to organize and archive what I have. What do you guys think?

i like it. awesome as the new homepage

I agree, that would be awesome. Now I never know when new blogs are written.
    Last edited by Carnage reigns; 02-25-2013 at 06:25 PM.

i say even keep the legos story

i like that.... good idea!

Love the idea of having technical guides with embedded video.

I would certainly turn on the CMS if you want it.

TK

AO: I'm currently working on a rough idea for the CMS tool. If you guys have any ideas or items you would like to see feel free to post them up....

Example:

My basic idea is to create a file system that we can use to create dynamic webpages from forum posts. Think of it like Automags.uk (R.I.P) or Xmagworld.com (R.I.P kinda), but we could house all of that information on the new AO servers. I think AO has survived long enough to realize this site won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

If you like my idea, feel free to elaborate. This project will involve the community and it will only work if everyone participates. Stay tuned, once I get everything lined up I will probably post a request thread for people who are interested in helping organizing and maintaining the content. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    AO: I'm currently working on a rough idea for the CMS tool. If you guys have any ideas or items you would like to see feel free to post them up....

Example:

My basic idea is to create a file system that we can use to create dynamic webpages from forum posts. Think of it like Automags.uk (R.I.P) or Xmagworld.com (R.I.P kinda), but we could house all of that information on the new AO servers. I think AO has survived long enough to realize this site won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

If you like my idea, feel free to elaborate. This project will involve the community and it will only work if everyone participates. Stay tuned, once I get everything lined up I will probably post a request thread for people who are interested in helping organizing and maintaining the content. Thanks!
    I do want a recent blog section like on the page in the first post. I think if ppl know they will be seen we will get some classic info on those blogs. Also we should have a upcoming event sections. Somewhere to put Tunaball, Scenario Games and the like.
    Last edited by Carnage reigns; 03-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Do it! I would love a new homepage

Thumbs up

Sounds good!

Looks great.

I think the CMS would be a great place to post a lot of the info that are in the stickied "tech man" posts, like the LVL10 guides and the valve exploded view pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    I think the CMS would be a great place to post a lot of the info that are in the stickied "tech man" posts, like the LVL10 guides and the valve exploded view pictures.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. I had automags.uk bookmarked for quick access to all the warpfeed information (i.e. which jumper positions I needed) so when it went down, I had to start committing all of that stuff to memory. And if you don't use that info regularly, you tend to forget. It would be very nice to have a base to go to for all of that stuff again. It would be even better to find all the original media, as there are TONS of posts around here where the pics don't show up anymore.

I like the ideas guys, keep them coming!! Btw I worked on the Mag of the Month Idea some more. I really would like to keep the banner as is, but include the MOTM contest as a highlight on the front page of the site. Below is a picture of the MOTM category from 2004-2013 with both the Open and Class winners on the right corner. You will be able to click the thumbnail to display the high quality picture. It will be displayed on every page within the CMS. Luckily rschoi_75 made it easy for me to edit this month....

**Also, check out the build thread category. I think it would be a cool way of organizing and displaying the latest builds. Just think, if a marker doesn't win MOTM, it can still be showcased somewhere else on the site.

Comments or concerns?

I like the ideas guys, keep them coming!! Btw I worked on the Mag of the Month Idea some more. I really would like to keep the banner as is, but include the MOTM contest as a highlight on the front page of the site. Below is a picture of the MOTM category from 2004-2013 with both the Open and Class winners on the right corner. You will be able to click the thumbnail to display the high quality picture. It will be displayed on every page within the CMS. Luckily rschoi_75 made it easy for me to edit this month....

**Also, check out the build thread category. I think it would be a cool way of organizing and displaying the latest builds. Just think, if a marker doesn't win MOTM, it can still be showcased somewhere else on the site.

Comments or concerns?
    I like these ideas. They are awesome!!!

AO: I'm looking for a few volunteers to help build the CMS for automags.org. I really need community members to help create and organize content so we can build up the CMS the best we can. I'm looking for the following "types" of content managers.....

(2) Tech Content Manager: A person that is really tech oriented, can provide step by step tutorials/videos
    Retro AGD Content Manager: Able to write and promote old articles with pictures, etc
    Parts/Manufacturers Content Manager: Someone who can organize all of the different parts that the Automag has. Provide pics and a write up.

If you are interested feel free to send me a PM. I really need people to step up, so please don't volunteer unless you are 100% committed.

I'm going to assume that you don't need me to "apply" for this.

I went ahead and gave everyone read access to the CMS.

Take a look....

https://www.automags.org/forums/content.php

I spent alot of time on it, so please let me know what you think. It is not 100% by any means. I really want to hear what you guys think. It takes me a lot of time searching and rebuilding threads with pictures so I hope you enjoy. Think of what it could be like in a year or two.

Awesome

Question

Is there a ULT instruction manual PDF anywhere in here ?

Someone asked me for one and I'm not having any luck finding anything.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Is there a ULT instruction manual PDF anywhere in here ?

Someone asked me for one and I'm not having any luck finding anything.
    Doesn't seem like it, how about this....

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/f...owtopic=127431

It would be something we could add to the CMS though

This is awesome. I would only suggest making Tech Guides a main topic instead of having to drill down to find them.

That looks really good! Thanks for all the work you've put in it Bunny!

One suggestion I've received from a few people is to set up a gallery of AO events.

I'll take a look at this and see if we have the capacity and ability to do so. I know for a fact that I have a TON of pics from AO events over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    One suggestion I've received from a few people is to set up a gallery of AO events.

I'll take a look at this and see if we have the capacity and ability to do so. I know for a fact that I have a TON of pics from AO events over the years.

hey looks sweet!!

I guess pbnation.com beat me to the punch.... lol What do you guys think of the way pbnation has their page laid out. Good, bad, ugly?

suaze Guest
    I really like the CMS for pbn. Gives me a preview of threads I should be reading but don't know about. It really works for pbn since there's so much garbage on their site. I'd like to see it on AO. Many of us forgot to vote for MOTM and some threads need to be seen.

I guess pbnation.com beat me to the punch.... lol What do you guys think of the way pbnation has their page laid out. Good, bad, ugly?
    Awesome. The way they did it was incredible.

Xmagworld now on automags.org

Since I had a bit of time to kill I decided to import the Xmagworld.wordpress.com site into the Automags.org Content Management System. Feel free to poke around. I still have a lot more ideas and information to copy over so bear with me. Let me know what you guys think about the photo galleries. I have probably put in 5 hours trying to come up with the best way possible to showcase the pictures. So hopefully you guys like it!

**As a long-term solution I will be copying every single picture into a directory within AO just incase the hosting site goes down.