Thread: Who Polishes SS Bodies?

Who Polishes SS Bodies?

I have a grey MiniMag body that I want to have polished - who can do it for me?

I did my own. Several different grits of wet sandpaper(can't remember specific but probably 200, 400,and 800) over a 5 gallon pail of water. Then some metal polish that I got from a Motorcycle shop. Takes a couple of hours so have something good on Netflixs

Yeah, there really isn't a lot of shortcutting on this. I've polished a few of them and it is a pretty long process. Unless someone really just likes doing it for funsies it's probably going to cost you more than the body is worth to get someone to polish it. Just keep an eye out for one that's already done.

Margaritas sitting in the surf was the easiest time of it I've had.

It makes the jeweling business pretty slow.

You can start at a 120 grit for a faster removal of the original rough finish. When you get to 400 or 600, start looking for pits; they are kind of hard to see until then. You many need to go back down to 200 or 120 even. I usually go from 600 to 1500 and then polish, but you can stop at 600 for some extra polish time.

The problem with using buffer setups is that you need about four grits and wheels. Then, the good compounds can dry out on you, like Brownell's polish-o-ray.

Agree with everything said here. Especially Netflix. I also used a dremel with a polishing wheel after the sandpaper part was over.

and if you're going the dremel route, have a bunch of the polishing wheels. Getting in around the feedneck eats those things up.

sounds like a good winter project, alongside a few cups of rum.

but thinking about winter makes me sad.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. However, I don't have the patience to do it myself, and it is a centerfeed MiniMag body, so waiting for another one to come up for sale isn't really an option. I was hoping somebody here with some experience would help me out...anybody interested?

sound like a lot of work, and though jeweling looks great, i believe it cost a pretty penny... but im going the powdercoat route with my centerfeed minimag body, and im sure they offer similar to the color you are trying to achieve?