Thread: Milling for freak inserts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Milling for freak inserts

What dimensions does the barrel need to have in order to be milled for freak inserts and who does this these days? I can't find any current information about it.

I know there are at least 2 airsmiths on MCarterBrown that do it.

i know i need someone in the USA, its not worth it to send it to canada.

suaze Guest
    Link 1+2 are US. Link 3 is Canada.
    Some barrels, such as, WGP Kaner are difficult to do but not impossible.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ng-update.html

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...ccesories.html

yea I have an old twist lock barrel I would love to have milled for inserts.. just concerned the inner bore might actually be too big. No idea what kind of barrel either, no markings and I've never seen another like it.

No porting, no outside milling, nothing. Its the same width along it's entire length and it looks really freaking awesome on a RT classic..

Quote Originally Posted by RehKal View Post
    yea I have an old twist lock barrel I would love to have milled for inserts.. just concerned the inner bore might actually be too big. No idea what kind of barrel either, no markings and I've never seen another like it.

No porting, no outside milling, nothing. Its the same width along it's entire length and it looks really freaking awesome on a RT classic..
    so far none of them can mill a twistlock barrel for freak insert, i have asked before. the set up they have will not let them reach down deep enough to mill for the insert.

Oh darn. That would explain why I didn't have it done when I first wanted to get it done. Hm... I simply MUST find a way to get it done...

Bringing another failure point to the light... a freak back is a standard bore 2 piece back that is milled from the front, the furthest part back is just about the same ID as any other barrel, then it is bored from the front and leaves the entire breach area like any other barrel. The insert doesn't start till after the bolt travel area. You'd also have to take into account, milling the barrel from.the back would include the feed hole in the barrel... which would have to be made in the insert then secured inside the barrel so it didn't twist thus feeding no balls....

It could be done, if you found someone to mill the barrel then drill the inserts for the feed... then used say, 3 set screws in the barrel around it to secure the insert.

Find a crappy barrel and buy an insert and have someone go to town on it as an experiment. Could bring them some business, id love to have my dye stainless freaked out
    Last edited by Cokrkilr; 03-03-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RehKal View Post

The barrel that you have is a Smart Parts Rain Barrel. They were produced without porting to ensure the barrel stayed dry in inclement weather. I also have one and like you have never seen another. Mine is splash anno and I was told from Smart Parts that these barrels were produced starting at the time when splash was ending. Very few were done in splash and I believe shortly after production of the rain barrel ended due to the Freak Barrel being released.

I have had warpedmephisto do freak boring for me and rethreading as well with no problems

this guy is selling a T/L freak bored Dye ultra light back:
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...d-updated.html

that can be an option for ya if you are not able to get your SP barrel done the way you want? or you could get your barrel rethreaded with A/C threads, freak bore it, and get a Doc's T/L to cocker adapter and use the barrel on both a T/L mag or a ULE mag?

expensive...oh hells yeah that would be expensive, but anything is expensive when you want custom, and its just another option incase the dood that posted this thread didnt know that was possible???

good luck man!!!