Thread: Mag Nightmares...

Mag Nightmares...

So have any of you ever purchased a used mag on ebay or craigslist and found it... in less than good condition... after receiving it?

I recently purchased a classic RT zmag on ebay. Worth it for the zgrip but the valve and other parts are... frightening. It looks as if it was found in a flooded cellar. The twist lock pin looks as if someone trying to put in the barrel couldn't find the groove and finally tried hammering the barrel into place. (will provide a picture of this in a bit.) Here are some pictures of what I've found.

The valve.

The bolt.

Does your banjo bolt leak? Simply apply teflon tape!

Most of this doesn't bother me truth be told, the steel valve body cleans up easily and I intend to replace the bolt/power tube parts with a lvl 10 anyway... but still. The marker was sold as "in working condition" I can safely say it would not function as the bolt was literally glued to the valve body by the bumper. Ultimately I just wanted the zgrip, the rest is bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Forgot my most important question. Any particular kind of grease that should be used on the springs in the regulator nut? I think someone had put axle grease in this one...
    Last edited by RehKal; 03-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RehKal View Post
    Edit: Forgot my most important question. Any particular kind of grease that should be used on the springs in the regulator nut? I think someone had put axle grease in this one...
    Actually, that's the one spot on a mag that's good for axle/bearing grease. Ambient air moves in and out of there, bringing moisture with it. Bearing grease is good for the steel in that environment. Lithium bearing grease is good for that replacement. Don't use so much that it gets on the other parts though. I usually sniff a spring pack to see where it's been and count that smell as a good sign.

Looking forward to the other pics.

Yea the springs get basically axle grease.

In mine I cleaned all that out and mist with a little gold cup.

It was wet for a while, I would also Imagine the Reg Valve Pin will be in bad shape as well.

-R
    Serving AGD customers since 93, wishing I could beat some common since into some of them about 5 hrs later.

I know how it is with the bolt glued to the valve. Mine was that way after sitting 9 years. But the rest....... that's just crazy. And they marked it as working order?

Id honestly open up the front chamber on that as well, who knows what gunk got down into there.

Looks like it sat in a bucket of sandy muck for a decade

At least it will feel rewarding after you get all nice and cleaned up, that and you rescued a mag as it appears as well.

Wow, I love the purple latex gloves. Have fun reviving that classic! We just reconditioned an old RT this week that was in rough shape. Works great now!
    Sandman

More pics!

I took a good look down into the front of the power tube and saw it was actually fairly clean inside. I've pulled the entire valve/regulator apart and most of it was fairly clean all things considered, just waiting on oring parts kit and lvl 10 to put it all back together properly. Are those twist lock guide pins just press fit into the bodies and does it matter what side you insert/remove them from?

Glad you like the gloves! I was using varsol at work to clean the valve and regulator parts.

Here is the twist lock guide pin and.. a close up of salt crystals!

The twist lock pin is pressed in from the top... I tapped mine out with a hammer from the bottom

Oh that's even a high rise slant back power feed! Them are just sexy!

aww they butchered the fore grip extender... at least they didnt cut the zgrip guard. glad to see that time-piece is getting the love it deserves/needs!

Good snag bro. Euro-body to boot. How much did you spend on it?