Thread: Oil? Grease?

Oil? Grease?

So I've been browsing around on ans gear and noticed that rather large amounts of greases and oils now available for paintball markers. So my big question is this. What do you think is best, oil or grease? I was thinking of picking up some of the grease for the regulator springs in the back but was curious if some of that same grease might be good for other places, like where the bolt moves. Or should I just stick to an oil? If so, what do you find is the best?

I've only "read" that grease is just good for the reg springs in a mag. I use auto grease on the reg spring pack and just oil on everything else.

You gotta remember, mags were made when bush fixes were possible... take some oil off the dip stick and run that thing

If you've got Gold Cup oil for your Automag, you're in the clear. Any of these are substitutes, but AGD always said Gold Cup; "Extreme Rage Juice" or "Spyder Marking Oil" or Tippmann Marker Oil" or "TechT Gundrops" or "Hoppes #9" or "Outlast Oil" or "CORE SuperSlick Oil".

Automags want oil - the only thing you'll need to grease is the spring pack and reg piston, and that doesn't need to be done frequently. A handful of drops of oil in your ASA before and after a day of play go a long way and keep your mags shooting for... 20 years and counting.

Keep in mind that most greases sold under various brand names are just Dow33 or Dow55, with colors or scents (or both) added, and a brand name attached. Picking a big brand name like "Hater Sauce" or industry standard "SL33K" will have you spending $15-$20 for 2oz of Dow33 which can be had for $10 from Trinity, or $5 as a generic unbranded tube. Just bear in mind that different high-end electronic markers will require different grease; check the manual or the manufacturer and see whether they want Dow33 or Dow55 - if they insist on a brand (as they often do) google it and find out which it is.

I personally use Gold Cup Oil in all of my markers that take oil, and Monkey Poo in those that take grease. I pay the premium for the Gold Cup because AGD always recommended it back in the day and I'm used to it. I pay the premium for Monkey Poo because I've supported O-Ring Monkey since the very early days, and it smells like bananas and fat guys like non-food items to smell like food.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzle fry View Post

i personally use gold cup oil in all of my markers that take oil, and monkey poo in those that take grease. I pay the premium for the gold cup because agd always recommended it back in the day and i'm used to it. I pay the premium for monkey poo because i've supported o-ring monkey since the very early days, and it smells like bananas and fat guys like non-food items to smell like food.

lol!