Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Maximum input psi allowed for Classic Valve with HPA?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400

    Maximum input psi allowed for Classic Valve with HPA?

    I recently completed a minimag pistol and it seems great! But I currently have no standard psi tank as I am waiting for a standard reg to install on my 70/45. But I decided to test it out on my other high pressure tank that is a 90/45 with around 1100-1300 psi input directly into the valve. It seemed to shoot fine for around the first 2 shots but on the third it started to hiss out air and I think the Level 7 bolt may have stuck forward. It hissed air out at a crazy loud amount. This has happened numerous times where it seemed to have been in a perfect chrono with all my friends standard tanks that I have borrowed. This got me wondering if my psi input was to much. So what is the standard classic valve rated for or normally work at? I know it says it is rated at 3000 psi but I seem to have trouble using the valve with a crazy high input. This is no serious problem and I will have a standard psi tank in by the end of the week. I just want to see what the problem is.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    551
    I'd check the side of your valve where all that important small writing is, but I was under the impression they had a maximum 3000psi input for RT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Drix View Post
    I'd check the side of your valve where all that important small writing is, but I was under the impression they had a maximum 3000psi input for RT
    I have it right here. It says it is rated 3000 psi.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
    I have it right here. It says it is rated 3000 psi.
    Seem to have misunderstood the question, sorry. If the valve's been sitting for a while I'd put some oil in the the air intake and on/off pin and let it cycle through for like 50 shots or so. Assuming that doesn't fix the problem you may have a bad match for O-rings for your bolt stem and I'd check those. If the bolt is sticking foreword it's likely not resetting properly, if it's just blow through air I'd look at replacing some O-rings in the front half. Honestly though, having picked up mags that have sat in garages for 10 years and oiled them before firing, it's unlikely that there is an o-ring problem here.


    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Drix View Post
    Seem to have misunderstood the question, sorry. If the valve's been sitting for a while I'd put some oil in the the air intake and on/off pin and let it cycle through for like 50 shots or so. Assuming that doesn't fix the problem you may have a bad match for O-rings for your bolt stem and I'd check those. If the bolt is sticking foreword it's likely not resetting properly, if it's just blow through air I'd look at replacing some O-rings in the front half. Honestly though, having picked up mags that have sat in garages for 10 years and oiled them before firing, it's unlikely that there is an o-ring problem here.


    Not an O-ring problem. I would get a basic input of 800-900 psi from a friends 68/45 and it shot like a champ, its just that for some reason when I crank up the pressure it cant seem to contain it well. And I just bought the valve which had been in check and in well taken care of use by a good owner/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    southern IL
    Posts
    1,814
    Are you lowering the velocity adjustment nut on the back of the air valve when putting the higher input tank on the gun? Or leaving it all set the exact same? Basically are you re chronying the gun? Or just swapping the tank?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Are you lowering the velocity adjustment nut on the back of the air valve when putting the higher input tank on the gun? Or leaving it all set the exact same? Basically are you re chronying the gun? Or just swapping the tank?
    I am lowering it but only to the point until it gets loose. I dont want the reg nut to shoot out the back and all.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    southern IL
    Posts
    1,814
    Well that threw out the hopeful thinking of it being an easy brain fart on the users end.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Halifax, N.S., Canada
    Posts
    7,391
    The regulator is rated for 3000psi. It will work at a 1300psi input without issues if the orings are good. At higher pressures, there is more chance of blow-by in the orings if they are hardened or have blemishes. I'd check the orings.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    The regulator is rated for 3000psi. It will work at a 1300psi input without issues if the orings are good. At higher pressures, there is more chance of blow-by in the orings if they are hardened or have blemishes. I'd check the orings.
    Ditto this. Just because they seal at 8-900 psi doesn't mean they will seal at 11-1300 psi. If they are old orings, flattened, or discolored I would go ahead and replace them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by RehKal View Post
    Ditto this. Just because they seal at 8-900 psi doesn't mean they will seal at 11-1300 psi. If they are old orings, flattened, or discolored I would go ahead and replace them.
    Huh, I forgot they may fluctuate and all. Also me being in Ohio the weather has been rapidly changing from warm to cold (more than usual) and the operating temp may also have a minor part to play in this. I will replace the O-rings with the parts kit I have left over and try it out in a controlled environment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •