Thread: Regulator Removal - Your Preferred Method?

Regulator Removal - Your Preferred Method?

So I found someone local (Maine Oxy) that will hydro tanks for about $18 each. The catch is that I need to remove the regulators 1st. I have seen a few methods using strap wrenches and vises and one using a rubber mallet. So I ask, what is the most reliable/safest way to remove a regulator from a carbon fiber tank?

Don't put it in a vise unless you have rubber grips (that are designed to hold large pipes/bottles) on the vise. Probably the easiest is to use the strap wrench to hold the bottle. If the reg is made with areas for a wrench to be placed for removal, use it. Otherwise you'll have to remove fill nipple, gauge, etc and use a strap wrench on it as well. You may have to remove fill nipple and gauge to use the built in removal points even if it does have them. Also be aware, some places locktite regs in...

I forget what they are called, but Sears sells magnetic rubber covers for your vice. They are good to have around actually, can't rememer how many things I jacked up before putting these on. If you have those, you can put the reg in a vice and use your hands to screw off the tank if the threads are not loctited. If they are, you may have to use a strap wrench. MAKE SURE THE TANK IS COMPLETELY EMPTY BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS. Even a little air will make it hard to take off.

Most hydro places only charge $5 or so to take regs off. If you are hestitant about doing it, or don't have the right tools pay someone that does to do it right.

I guess my main concern is removing the burst disks, fill nipple and gauge. Anything I should know about removing these? I know they need to go back in the same location that they came from. It seems like they are robust enough to not be damaged during careful removal, but having never removed them before, I just want to make sure I am not assuming incorrectly.

As long as the tank is completely empty, they are no different than unscrewing a nut. If you have bolts the same threads as those, you can put them in those holes for leverage as well or so that the reg doesnt move around when in the vice.

Step one, EMPTY THE TANK! Use an on/off asa and just don't plug the macroline in. I usually put the reg in the vice, and use a strap wrench. I don't tighten it down at all. Just enough to hold it there. I also put a towel between my tank and strap because mine's metal (rubber strap is recommended). This prevents the tank from being scratched. Then I slowly turn the empty bottle. Takes like 5 seconds, has worked for me multiple times.

i just watched this today... interesting method...

That can probably be done with some regs, but I doubt one torque to spec or locktite'd will be that easy.
    I generally use a strap wrench on the reg portion, and thigh strength to keep the bottle steady:P (no longer have my table clamp)

Aside from that, I also have an old bottle cradle that fits around most regs and is notched and would fit the fill nipple or gauge, with flat surfaces on the outside for a wrench

It should be noted, removing your reg like the video suggests.... Is foolish. The fill nipple is not made or designed for that purpose, you can bend, damage, break or weaken it by doing this with it. And that isn't really something you want breaking when you are filling your tank...

Quote Originally Posted by BiNumber3 View Post
    That can probably be done with some regs, but I doubt one torque to spec or locktite'd will be that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RehKal View Post
    It should be noted, removing your reg like the video suggests.... Is foolish. The fill nipple is not made or designed for that purpose, you can bend, damage, break or weaken it by doing this with it. And that isn't really something you want breaking when you are filling your tank...
    I agree with all this. When I saw that video I was like:

And I just use two strap wrenches. Small one on the reg, and large one on the bottle. Twist in opposite directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    When I saw that video I was like:
    Ditto

I went to a local discount tool store and bought two strap wrenches for about $10 total. They both broke when I used them. I guess cutting corners on tooling is not a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by RehKal View Post
    I removed the fill nipple and replaced it with a bolt once in order to get some leverage. Seemed to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I removed the fill nipple and replaced it with a bolt once in order to get some leverage. Seemed to work well.
    That should be fine to do. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ninja regs include a "regulator removal tool" which is just a bolt that you screw into the fill nipple port or one of the burst disc ports.

I just used the wood black methed with GREAT sucess

I wonder if there would be a market for something like their custom tool, seems like it would be fairly inexpensive to make and it is one of those things that would be nice to have.

well youd need a different one for every reg. and the wood block method worked like a dream

I guess I just assumed that most newer regs would be about the same size but I suppose you are right, probably too much variability. I broke a few cheap strap wrenches just trying to muscle the reg off, I will try the wood block method next.