In my little mission to produce an IC free "Idiot" frame (see "dumb" electro thread) I started to suspect that all modern electro's are incorporating some type of rampinging/queuing to produce a consistent and high ROF. In order to test this I borrowed a very popular marker and set up a test.

I tapped switch listeners to wires coming from the trigger and to the output to the firing mechanism. I set this up on arduino board and wrote a quick program to report the results over serial to a processing sketch on my PC every 2 seconds. Below is the output with the marker set to factory default semi-auto. This will probably be hard to read because it's not really designed to be readable. The first line is the average signals over 2 seconds from the trigger, the second line is the average signals over 2 seconds to the noid:

(note that the decimal points do not show because I'm reporting the data as int rather than float (2 points for you if you know what that means)
-----------------------------------
-------------------------------------

You have to divide everything by 2 to get the cps. I did it over 2 seconds because it supposedly capped at 12.5 and I didn't want to lose the half ball. Now my program is far from perfect but I look at that and I see ramping. As soon as I got over 6 pulls per second it jumped to 12.5 and stayed there until I dropped back down to 5. I got as high as 8 but never 12.5. More disturbing to me is that first pair. 4 pulls, 6 cycles. My program was running a software debounce. Clearly the program on the marker was listening for switch noise.

So here is the question for everyone. Assuming these results are representative (I know that is a big assumption), are you OK with that? I'm not naming the marker here because I'm disinclined to being sued, but it is an inexpensive elctro that lots of people feel played a part in bringing down the cost of high end electros. You figure it out. If this is the standard, manufacturers programing advantages straight into there products, then everyone may as well be shooting full auto and we can dispense with the finger twiddling theatrics.