Thread: Physics question for AO: Why do bounces hurt more than breaks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Physics question for AO: Why do bounces hurt more than breaks?

I have a couple guesses as to why this is having to do with energy but they are simply guesses. Since AO has always prided itself on being the forum with answers that are based in science I figure the question is a good one for here.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

My guess has always been that bounces hurt more because the shell does not break so it doesn't dissipate the energy as a shell breaking would do.

Similar to how newer car crush and dissipate the energy while older cars don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Wouldnt it have to do with the mass/energy being spread out vs concentrated on one point? When it bounces, all the force is behind the point it hits. When it breaks, the mass spreads out and looses momentum? Similiar to how they design cars now days to actually crush a certain way rather than building the frames so rigid that they bounce off. The crushing absorbs the impact rather than repelling it.

Edit: Cougar beat me to it.

Monster balls bounce more than others

so do marbles

if you think about how a ball breaks, its not at the point of impact, but the sides of the shell. the PoI is static, its not moving cause it has come against a solid object(you). so think of the shock wave or ripple coming off you, then you have the momentum of the ball still traveling(the ass still trying to catch up with the nose). so that wave is meeting in the middle with the kinetic energy and the weakest point is the sides of the ball.

so take that into consideration that bounces may have thinker shells, or just are in the curved path so it glances, or whatever. it just is a fact that bounces hurt more and that you should get better cover or learn to stick in better.

Bounces may hurt more, but oddly I find that breaks tend to leave bigger welts. Why is that?