Thread: Anodizing Dilema

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anodizing Dilema

Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions on a few ideas I have. Ive been going back and forth on like 5-6 different ideas and quite honestly Im getting a headache over it, as I think this is a pretty big decision on a gun.

My initial thought was a pretty loud ano job, lime green and blue splash. This is still in my top 3 I'd like to do.

Then I saw the "space mag" that was just posted, awesome. I have always been a fan of pewter/black chrome. So then a new idea spawned and this is the main one ive been debating on. So here is my ideas on this.

To not completely steal the look of the other gun, by using grey and pewter. I was thinking of using only pewter, then using gloss finish and dust finish to accent the gun. My problem is figuring out which parts to dust and which to keep gloss? Ive already contacted LMG and Ano-Tech, if I only use the 1 color and the dust to break up the gun it pretty much cuts the cost in half, $130 for both places on a one color job. I have the resources and tools to send the gun in 100% prepped for either finish, so thats where about $80 gets taken off the job. Because I got quoted around $200-$220 if they blasted the parts and prepped them.

What do you guys think would look good? And do you think the use of gloss and dust with the same color would "break up" the look enough?

this is what I was thinking...

Gloss:
    Body, feedneck body, Freak front, On/off asa, RT Pro valve back, Blade trigger (maybes are, LPR, Mini rail)

Dust:
    Intelliframe, CP detent, collar and clamp parts on feedneck, Emag rail, Emag sight rail (if I can find one), Vert asa, Foregrip, (maybes are, LPR, Mini rail)

I just cant picture it, I cant tell if the gun will look like a one color blob, or if the accents will have a good effect on the gun? any thoughts?

MOTY3
    I like the idea. I have seen this combination on some new cars/trucks with glossy paint and flat sport stripes and it looks cool.

My gun is a gloss/dust black scheme which I love. I think it's better than just having 2 colors. It's hard to see how cool it is just using photos though.

But, what if you did the dust/gloss scheme using one of the loud colors you wanted? The dust would be way toned down and would almost look like a different color. Would probably work best using a greyish blue.

I like the idea of doing it to say the green, but my brothers lime green dp4 in my opinion looks weird? I don't know what it is about dust green, it looks a little pukey to me... ?

I think I'm going to pull my gun apart and strip the rest of my black stuff tonight, possibly be able to make it over to my buddy's shop and blast some parts... I should get a pretty good idea of putting it together with some pieces dull.

So my last bid I got was Caustic, he came in at $175 with 100% prep done by myself. Seems steep, but I know from previous builds on here his work is top notch. Plus, he gets what I'm trying to accomplish... when I called LMG the guy on the phone took about 7 attempts to explain what I wanted.... not good. I'm going to try to get a couple parts blasted tomorrow. I have my feedneck and rtp back in the bath right now. Just awaiting polishing.

yea, dust green will look pukish, which is why I was thinking blues or blacks. $175 seems super steep imo, since I'm guessing the polished parts are already polished, and the others just need sandblasting, and it's one color.