Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Open letter to paintball product manufacturers

  1. #1

    Open letter to paintball product manufacturers

    Dear Sr.,

    Please stop designing your products with brightly colored jewels displaying your logo. This is not NASCAR. You are not my sponsor. If you want me to advertise for your product you can pay me to do so or give me free stuff. Until that shining day I will continue to make removing your jewels step 2 after opening the box.

    Sincerely,
    ~Annoyed Consumer

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,209
    Oh man, I can't agree more.

    Tasteful milling is one thing, but even that should be limited to the body of a marker (Shocktechs, late PTPs, etc).

    I have so many CP regulators and ASAs; none of them have jewels because they're UGLY.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400
    Unless if it is AGD's. I am happy to have a blazing AGD logo on as many things as I can. Gotta have that AGD pride.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottonwood, Az.
    Posts
    5,700
    Without little more than moving my head right to left I see:
    hp (7x), CASIO, Fowler, vtech, Industrial Press, Network, Acer, cisco, audubon, Mitutoyo, belkin, magic jack, scotch, Palmers Pursuit, Starrett, Phllips, so I really don't get your point.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    southern IL
    Posts
    1,801
    I've never been a big logo fan. I'm picky with riding gear because of it too. Can't think of many logos in all my pb gear.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Without little more than moving my head right to left I see:
    hp (7x), CASIO, Fowler, vtech, Industrial Press, Network, Acer, cisco, audubon, Mitutoyo, belkin, magic jack, scotch, Palmers Pursuit, Starrett, Phllips, so I really don't get your point.
    lol. Let me try. RCA, DELL, AT&T, Samsung, Linksys, HP. I get what you're saying and for the record, I see you as one of the good guys. Milled into the product tastefully so that those who like what they see can know what it is.

    It annoys me with paintball stuff because we go to so much trouble to get our markers unique and just so.

  7. #7
    I would have thought the opposite. You guys pay so much attention to, and associate so much with, branding and showing people what you spent money on that I figure you'd actually like an overt, visible logo. It's a direct statement of your status. And we all love our status symbols, even if they're gaudy.

    That goes double for you guys that run around putting stickers on everything.

    And logo'd jerseys.
    "Accuracy by aiming."


    Definitely not on the A-Team.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    You guys
    Who guys is "you guys"?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottonwood, Az.
    Posts
    5,700
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    It annoys me with paintball stuff because we go to so much trouble to get our markers unique and just so.
    Just "funnin" with you, that stuff irritates me too, but there is no escape it's everywhere.

  10. #10
    The best is when something gets logos on it that don't deserve it.... like the Chrysler 300 with a fake Bentley grill.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokrkilr View Post
    The best is when something gets logos on it that don't deserve it.... like the Chrysler 300 with a fake Bentley grill.
    Hey!

    The 300C is basically a beefy Mercedes.

    Bentley is basically a pretty looking Audi.

    I think it fits.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    Who guys is "you guys"?
    Majority of paintballers, as stated. Look around on people's gear. Stickers all over the place? Extra brands on their custom jerseys even though they're not sponsored or affiliated with them? Constantly referring to "brand greatness" instead of data? That's who I'm talking about.

    Manufacturers do it because people ... kinda want it.

    So really, your letter should probably be addressed to your fellow paintballers.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    Hey!

    The 300C is basically a beefy Mercedes.

    Bentley is basically a pretty looking Audi.

    I think it fits.
    I do have to give it to the Baudi though, do any of you watch top gear? And see the Bentley drive UP a ski slope? Pretty impressive. The 300 would be at the bottom stuck with a pretty lame fake grill

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    919
    It just needs to be done more stylishly than jewels imo, like my monitor has a nice ASUS on the front, but it's not ugly and it's not too large. Or my bikes with black background and silver stenciled lettering that I think adds to the sex appeal

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BiNumber3 View Post
    It just needs to be done more stylishly than jewels imo, like my monitor has a nice ASUS on the front, but it's not ugly and it's not too large. Or my bikes with black background and silver stenciled lettering that I think adds to the sex appeal

    Did you just use bikes and sex appeal in the same sentence?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,543
    I'm not a badge kind of guy at all either and the only place I have stickers is on my parts boxes. Everyone does it though, so it's the norm now and despite his abrasiveness, GoatBoy is probably more on base than we want to admit. A lot of people are into badges as it is somewhat of a status symbol. Personally, one of the reasons I like AKA feednecks so much is that they come without logos or lazering. By the same token, they probably sell a fraction of what CCM does. Coincidence?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Manufacturers do it because people ... kinda want it.
    So really, your letter should probably be addressed to your fellow paintballers.
    Do they get what they want? Or do they want what they get? More specifically, do they want what everybody else has? We agree on this. I'd just prefer it was different.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Personally, one of the reasons I like AKA feednecks so much is that they come without logos or lazering. By the same token, they probably sell a fraction of what CCM does. Coincidence?
    Not at all. Add a Dye logo to anything and you've quadrupled it's price. Paintball is as bad as clothing when it comes to this crap. It's hard to think of an activity where style choices should have less bearing than a bunch of people slinging smelly paint at each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cokrkilr View Post
    The best is when something gets logos on it that don't deserve it.... like the Chrysler 300 with a fake Bentley grill.
    I used to own a Ford Escort with a Jaguar Emblem bolted to the hood. LOL I loved my Jagscort.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Plymouth, WI
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    I used to own a Ford Escort with a Jaguar Emblem bolted to the hood. LOL I loved my Jagscort.
    I once bought a used VW jetta for a great price but the front VW logo was missing, oddly enough a caddy emblem fit... I then flipped the car for 600$ profit. The guy loved the emblem

    To leave feedback: Click seller/buyers name, Click feedback score, Click leave feedback

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    I once bought a used VW jetta for a great price but the front VW logo was missing, oddly enough a caddy emblem fit... I then flipped the car for 600$ profit. The guy loved the emblem
    That's hilarious. I still have that Jaguar, maybe I'll clamp it to the end of a barrel, slap it on a classic Mag and try to sell it on E-Bay for $2000.00
    Super Rare
    1 of 1
    Top of the line high end Jag Mag!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,209
    I'm holding a silver Shocktech B2K2 with four logos on it, two are 1x2" and 1x1". The Bob Long feedneck is also silver and has three 1x1" BL logos cut into the collar. The black barrel is by Redz and has 1.5" chili peppers milled into it with a 2" redz logo. The black grips are by DYE and have a 2" logo running down the middle.

    Even though this thing is covered in gigantic hunks of MFG graffiti, the only thing that bothers me is the tiny .5cm x 1cm CP jewel logo on the regulator which is BRIGHT RED.


    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    I used to own a Ford Escort with a Jaguar Emblem bolted to the hood. LOL I loved my Jagscort.
    I'll be looking for that around town.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    I'll be looking for that around town.
    LOL. Last seen being driven by my Grandmother in Maine. Sadly, the frame rotted out and the Jagscort is quite dead. Maybe I'll put the emblem on my Sonata.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    LOL. Last seen being driven by my Grandmother in Maine. Sadly, the frame rotted out and the Jagscort is quite dead. Maybe I'll put the emblem on my Sonata.
    Now that I think about it they haven't made Escorts in a very long time LOL

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waiting on Key Lime Pie !
    Posts
    4,374
    Doesnt bother me a bit.

    You guys let silly things bother you.

    Just get some espresso, you'll be ok.


  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    Do they get what they want? Or do they want what they get? More specifically, do they want what everybody else has? We agree on this. I'd just prefer it was different.
    Yes, I wish many things were different. I'm a no-flag kind of guy myself.

    I'm sure the line gets blurred, what with manufacturers sometimes being customers themselves, and customers sometimes being manufacturers.

    But look at the Tek Mat thread.

    "Man, how are we going to fit all this technical data on there AND a giant AGD logo?"

    "Uh, drop the logo?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •