Thread: Playing at night

Playing at night

Anyone have any suggestions on gear or tips playing at night? I'm playing a 26 hour scenario event and they will have night time play and I know a few guys have night vision.

IMO, the only people night play is fun for are the ones with night vision. It sucks for everyone else. Tried it twice and absolutely freaking hated it.

Hope for a clear night with a full moon.

Past that, i've seen the glow in the dark paintballs. Neat, but if it's FPO, then you're outta luck.

I used to have a rig that mounted to your barrel and "charged" the glowing paintballs. It also had a hopper with a light inside.

Didn't work great but it was cool enough to turn heads.

Yeah fpo. Part of the field will be lit but the rest of the field is in play too and its 72 acres. I'll hate to get flanked or have a mission outside the lighted area.

Get really bright led flash light. If you spot someone sniping at you wearing night vision turn the light on him. He'll be temporarily blinded by the light, if the night vision isn't really expensive model.

Buy a dark ghillie suit. Lay on the ground until someone steps on you, then shoot them.

Lol yeah I thought about that laku.

Just a few recommendations off the top of my head. As a kid, I loved night games of all sorts. I was good at it, perhaps the best among my friends. As an adult, I find it cold, uncomfortable, and annoying. I always get shot by friendly fire and stumble over vegetation on the way back to the reinsertion zone.

Don't look toward lights of any kind where possible. It can take several minutes for your eyes to become fully acclimated to the darkness and only a fraction of a second to lose it due to light. Keeping one eye shut till you need it to shoot is one method to maintain your personal nightvision ability.

Get rid of as much squeaking, rustling, clicking, and rattling, as you can in your gear. People rely even more on hearing then ever once it gets dark. Ditch unnecessary gear and silence what you bring on the field where possible.

Be aware of the amounts of foliage and "crunchy" stuff on the ground that could forecast your movements. Trails are good for clear ground but they're also the most likely to be watched too. Move when other people are shooting, aircraft are flying by, etc to mask the noise.

Avoid silhouetting yourself against any skylines or other background lighting. Keep yourself below the horizon as much as possible.

Most of these apply in the daytime too but really shine at night (pardon the pun).

Too bad it's FPO and guys with NV. Last outlaw night game I was playing, we picked up a case of the glow in the dark paintballs . We rigged a few mag lights over the case in our staging area to keep them charged. Since it was only 6 of us we opted to play hopper ball in a fairly open field. What we ended up doing was mixing in a few handfuls of the glowing paint with normal paint each round so you'd get a tracer shot every now and then.

At the indoor field I used to run the ref's and I would would sometimes play in the dark after we closed up for the day. What I have learned playing in a dark quiet place is that patience and your ears are your best assets. Beyond that, move smooth and steady. The more smooth your are the less sound you'll make. If you find yourself in CQB conditions remember to control your breathing (That can be really hard if you're worried about getting shot near point blank). If you must carry pods, try to pack them to have as little internal wiggle room as possible. When we were doing blackout pump games, we went as far as lining our sportshots with felt to further reduce noise. If you know where someone is, you can even try the ol' lob a small rock into a bush or bunker to distract your target. Best of all, carry a foam tube or foam knife for those stealth kills

I played a few night games. Like said be for, QUITE is your friend. Luck helps more. Remember LIE LIE LIE this is were the luck really comes in handy. Most people will try to figure out what team your on if you come up on there flank or from behind. So 50/50 is pretty good odds in that case. One eye closed if there is light is good too. I also tried to avoid large groups, more feet more noise. BE PATIENT.

Grab a million candle power portable spot and go to town

Some stuff I didn't even think bout i'll they to remember some of this stuff when I'm on the field.. Cokrkilr I thought bout that but just lay low and wait for someone to come my way then flash them with a 700 lumens flashlight then tag umm lol

Patience is your friend. I like to carry some remote controlled lights, recorder and some props with me. Set those up somewhere as distraction/traps. You can pile some leaves and twigs near the site so that when someone is near to check it out, they will make a lot of sound. Since they are aware of how much sound they are making also, they will usually freeze and stop moving, which makes then easy targets. Don't go crazy and light them up, instead just fire 1 shot to get them out because they might have people behind them. That way you don't give away your position. It's ore fun when they freak out and can't find you.

Quote Originally Posted by zins184 View Post
    Some stuff I didn't even think bout i'll they to remember some of this stuff when I'm on the field.. Cokrkilr I thought bout that but just lay low and wait for someone to come my way then flash them with a 700 lumens flashlight then tag umm lol
    The best thing I can think of to describe the shear pain of this tactic is this...

It would be like stepping out of a strip club at 12 o'clock noon and getting blindly attacked by a swarm of bees... its dirty, but oh so worth it.

Id even request some footage of this, Im willing to bet at least one guy screams and goes fetal, like a bear attack.... just go limp

OR!!! as suggested, take an audio device as a distraction... but instead of maybe shuffling noises or shooting sound coming out of it. Have it BLAIRING a coyote call tape. People will be like WTF is going on and probably not come within 100 yards of you. Easy pickins when people blatantly walk up to see whats dying over in the corner

BTW, im about 5 Jack n Cokes deep and I found this hilarious... 10 minutes to post up, 5 minutes of tear jerking laughter and 5 minutes of hunt and peck

I've played the last few scenario night games at sc village with some observations. First off, fogging was a big problem. Sweating at night in the cool air caused problems for me with my sly profits, even though I never had fogging issues in the daytime with the same goggles.

Sc village did not allow lasers or flashlights of any kind and it was fpo.

It was impossible to confirm hits, as everytime you saw someone flinch they displaced into the darkness immediately. Refs had a hard time with paint checks at night.

Imo, we just blew a lot of cheap field paint. Lighting works for and against you, depending on angle, glare, and shadows. The night games made the paint vendors happy, as we bought more paint the next morning.

Its ok if you don't take it too seriously.