Results 1 to 30 of 62

Thread: The trouble with Pump Mags (as I see it)

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    The trouble with Pump Mags (as I see it)

    Too many steps. First you track down and buy a kit, then you have your rail milled, then you have your body milled. Each step adds time and money.

    This next part I say with some reservation. As an indy game maker and an active member of those communities I often see people pop up and say "I have a great idea, will somebody (who has dedicated years and invested their own money to learn how) code it for me!?". It happens with whack-a-mole frequency. So I understand when I suggest this that the custom fabrication folks here on AO have their hands full with their own ideas careers and families already. But if anyone does have the time, and there is enough interest, I would love to see a built to purpose pump body/rail/kit.

    I have a few thoughts about how this could be done while keeping cost down, but I'm sure the pro's know better than I. Would anyone else like to see this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,418
    thats a good idea man! it would probably take alot of people being interested for someone to think it was worth their time to make one? with all the interest in pump kits right now you would think that would be a top of the list project for the people with the machines, but no luck there so far?

    lets hear your thoughts man???

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    lets hear your thoughts man???
    The big one is to mill the pump portion and the rail out of a single inline piece of AL. You could then just cut the "front" off and make the needed changes to mount the pump rod, spring etc. You could also mill holes in the front so that any standard foregrip could be mounted to it. That would give people tons of options for "pump handles". You would have to shave 1/16" or so off the top of the "front" so it didn't touch the body. Seems like this method would save lots of time in design and machine time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    The big one is to mill the pump portion and the rail out of a single inline piece of AL. You could then just cut the "front" off and make the needed changes to mount the pump rod, spring etc. You could also mill holes in the front so that any standard foregrip could be mounted to it. That would give people tons of options for "pump handles". You would have to shave 1/16" or so off the top of the "front" so it didn't touch the body. Seems like this method would save lots of time in design and machine time.


    very nice! that would be pretty Sa WeeT! you should post a pic/drawing if you are able to...either way thats a nice lil idea...that could also be made AM/MM or RT/E-Mag length if it was done this way right? that would be a whole lotta options for everyone, seeing how some people like E-Mag/RTP length set ups and some people like AM/MM length set ups.

  5. #5
    This is a rough (no dimensions considered) of what I had in mind. Hopefully it makes sense.pump.png

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    This is a rough (no dimensions considered) of what I had in mind. Hopefully it makes sense.pump.png

    very nice...how do you make drawings like that?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    thats a good idea man! it would probably take alot of people being interested for someone to think it was worth their time to make one? with all the interest in pump kits right now you would think that would be a top of the list project for the people with the machines, but no luck there so far?

    lets hear your thoughts man???
    We should start an indiegogo.com campaign to raise the funds to have a batch of pump kits produced. It worked for updating AO...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottonwood, Az.
    Posts
    5,727
    Patience guys, I will be doing these, no need to start a campaign.
    I'm in the middle of a project "everyone" (All 3 of you, lol) wanted awhile back. I've just started looking into pump kits.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,418
    hells yeah start tha campaign...there are a bunch of people looking for a Mag pump kit!

    hey Luke i thought you were working on a pump kit awhile ago???

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottonwood, Az.
    Posts
    5,727
    Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    hey Luke i thought you were working on a pump kit awhile ago???
    Never started the project, just talked about it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Cottonwood, Az.
    Posts
    5,727
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I've just started looking into pump kits.
    Guys, there is no price, no plan, no design, the project has not started yet, all I'm saying is I will make something.
    However it does not make sense to completely reinvent the wheel, to sell 10 or 15 units.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Patience guys, I will be doing these, no need to start a campaign.
    I'm in the middle of a project "everyone" (All 3 of you, lol) wanted awhile back. I've just started looking into pump kits.
    *Another bag of popcorn in the micro*
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    you can have it. I dont buy the porn, I just watch it

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by PBLife View Post
    *Another bag of popcorn in the micro*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •