Thread: What do you do if...

What do you do if...

...you're planning a recreational play outing to one of your favorite fields, which just opened for the season. You've got some great week-old paint from recent indoor play, you've got a new marker you want to test drive, you've picked a day and it's all looking good when...

A bunch of wackjob political activists announce less than a week before the date that they've set up for a hack-y "scenario game" based on Blackhawk Down. It's FPO (this time Red Legion) and entry with a case is $80, so you shoot garbage at a massive markup with proceeds going to a questionable "charity".

2 choices...

First would be to boycott

Second would be to show up and stomp them...hardcore

I would have either not played at all, or just take it for what it is and enjoyed it as much as possible. I would research the questionable charity first and made my decision afterwards. I don't care for the "stomp them" take on it. Under those circumstances, probably quite a few new or newer people to the sport. Always be a good ambassador please. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all." Participate and do it right, or just sit back and let them have their day. Making a some sort of stink about it or "abusing" them will only make you look bad. And possibly leave an impression with them about our sport that we don't want to perpetuate. Just my opinion...

Id just go play somewhere else if you planned on playing rec ball this weekend... I mean the field will be there next weekend right? And probably open up through Sept-Oct.... maybe Nov...

Seems like they opened and planned a large event like a "grand opening" for the summer. Could be fun?

It cost $75 for a case of paint and entry at my local field every weekend and its FPO.

Yeah, I did the research, but I also knew of them before this came up. The charity seems pretty plain at first glance, even a little goofy, but when you look through the BS they support and have supported militant rebel groups around the world. It's weird, I know the field owner and have been doing business with them for years - I'm blown away that he was onboard with this. Admittedly also a little ticked that the rates are such BS.

Every "scenario" that I have played at charges between $65-85/case, so its pretty par for course here. Sucks, but I wouldnt let it necessarily keep me from going unless I was (currently am) on a tight budget. Go, have fun and pwn some political whackos. Wear a Hillary in 16' t shirt or something.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Wear a Hillary in 16' t shirt or something.
    If you're buying I'll wear anything. "Hillary Does Dallas in 2016" might work - 50/50 as to whether it'll get her the vote though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    Yeah, I did the research, but I also knew of them before this came up. The charity seems pretty plain at first glance, even a little goofy, but when you look through the BS they support and have supported militant rebel groups around the world. It's weird, I know the field owner and have been doing business with them for years - I'm blown away that he was onboard with this. Admittedly also a little ticked that the rates are such BS.
    Wait, so this is a charity event for the US government

Quote Originally Posted by emcl29 View Post
    Yeah, but with them, you know what you're getting!

These guys are all peace signs and pictures of kids with flies on their eyes.

If you're not up for it, just don't go. Pick another weekend. If you go, and people like you go, then they'll think it was a "success". Then it will become annual.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    If you go, and people like you go, then they'll think it was a "success". Then it will become annual.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by emcl29 View Post
    ...now that I think about it, these guys were supporting the Sandanistas when the US was supporting the Contras. XD

Do ya want to play ball ?
    Do ya want to make it political ?
    Maybe you don't know the field owner as well as you thought OR the field owner is gettin the BS from the " charity " maybe you should ask him ; maybe he feels the same way as you .
    If it was me , I'd go , I'd upgrade MY paint so I could hit who I was shootin at & shoot only at those I new were not regulars ( anyone with a rental )

Maybe you're right Maniac.

I'm guessing it's like a birthday party rental... Group shows up, promises X amount of rental players buying paint, and it's a winfall - nobody makes big money on regular players anyway. The group negotiates the markup on paint and proceeds go to an innocent sounding charity. I can't blame the field really, but I'm always wary of anything that says "...not bombs" or "for peace" in the name so I do my homework.
    Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 04-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Times like see when I appreciate the benefits of my local field becoming popular and one of the "big fields". We are to big of a field to rent out and everyday the paint with admission costs $50 every weekend, even on the big games.

I hear ya Freedy, this is one of 3 fields operated by the same people. They have an indoor field, outdoor field, and indoor/outdoor field. This one is the smallest of the lot (4 speedball fields, a small village, a medium woods area), but is a convenient walk from my back door.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
    Times like see when I appreciate the benefits of my local field becoming popular and one of the "big fields". We are to big of a field to rent out and everyday the paint with admission costs $50 every weekend, even on the big games.
    i live in CA but home in south dakota, the price everyday for high end paint at paint the farm is 80$ per case if i recall.
    i say deal is a deal,

spend that cash keep the farmers pickin