Thread: barrel ID?

barrel ID?

2 questions have ran through my head with this for years.

1. How accurate is one barrel line on staying the same ID? Say dye ultralit to dye ultralite?
    2. Has there ever been a post with common barrels and there ID?

I have searched for this before. Never with any luck. I'd rather have a hand full of barrels with different IDs than a freak set. Not a fan of only a small portion of the barrel being swapped out. Idk. Mental thing.

Over on pbn, if you go to the barrels talk section there is a sticky with about 50 barrels listed with the manufacturers bore sizes

Most of them old posts I went through have dead links from how old they are. But in reading. It got me to thinking bout my concern with freak barrels. And if it is really a concern.

How long are the freak inserts? Basically how long is that "optimum" bore size that you can change? And how much bigger is the tip?

I hadn't ever thought much about this playing in the past. All the paint I ever used seamed to fit my dye ultralite pretty good. But all this paint I've messed with now seams a lot smaller than I remember. And most of my reading over on pbn was commenting about the same thing. Even with paint that has been around forever. In the past it used to be a larger od than what it is now.

I just looked at the post on pbn to make sure it was there... its titled "list of EVERY paint" or something like that. Post 1 is paint sizes, post 2 is barrel sizes.

Just in case you looked past it because of the thread title.

Freak inserts are 5" long, only 1" shorter than the "best" control bore length... and the front I can't tell you exactly how big the bore is. But it would at least need to be .693 because that's the largest size insert.

My freak with any tip shoots straight as an arrow.

I thought the largest freak insert was 0.695". That was the size the Smart Parts All-Americans used in their guns. I suspect the barrel tip was quite large on these.

My equation barrel only used inserts up to 0.693" and the barrel tip was 0.695". It is one of the nicest, most consistent and quiet barrels I have.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I thought the "best". controlled bore was 9". not 6?

It kills me how small the paintballs seam to be compared to in the past. I don't remember ever feeling like my dye barrel was a large bore. And yet now I do.

Now that I've scrolled far enough down to find the barrel list from the paint list. That's a big list BTW. It looks as though no one has made a normal barrel smaller than .688.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    I thought the largest freak insert was 0.695". That was the size the Smart Parts All-Americans used in their guns. I suspect the barrel tip was quite large on these.

My equation barrel only used inserts up to 0.693" and the barrel tip was 0.695". It is one of the nicest, most consistent and quiet barrels I have.
    Yeah you are right, the inserts I have I just got up to a .693 because as stated a couple times... paint generally isn't that big now days. My digital calipers only read .xx so it just shows a .69 on the reading for the fronts I have. I'm sure its not that hard to get that number though with a Google search?

Glad you found the list though, it is pretty big and has at least the more popular barrels if not most known to exist on it

After I got my freak setup for the cocker and mag threads I was thinking about getting rid of my twist locks... but I just can't, a couple of them rival my age haha. More nostalgia than anything since I will probably barely use them over the freak.

Also, maybe it was 9"? I can't remember, but I'm sure there is enough threads that have been beat to death about that... haha

Well I guess over time I'm gonna try to hunt down twist lock barrels with smaller ids than what I currently own. And no porting for the first 8 inches or so. I just really don't want to give up the twist lock. Its quick and easy. Best setup ever. May not have caught on. But still a great setup.

The control bore for best efficiency in a level 7 mag is 10.5". I'm not sure what it is in a level 10 mag.

The control bore that was optimum (from Tom's testing) was 8-11 inches IIRC.

But the 3 Dye barrels i have are all listed as .689 all 3 measure .6891, .6895, and .6896.

Also the largest freak tip i know of (SP not WWA Doc's ect.) is a progressive at .701.