Thread: power tube leak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

power tube leak

automag gods, i need help.
    ok so i just watched the TK videos and it seems that my leak down the barrel is from a power tube oring not sealing correctly. I got this mag after it was sitting for awhile so i bought a spare parts kit.
    i went ahead and replaced all the orings that i could that were supplied with the parts kit. afterward i still have a leak down the barrel.

so a couple questions-
    1) does the fact that it is a minimag valve matter? i think not.
    2) could the orings that came with my kit be the wrong size possibly?
    3) spacer kit would/could fix this?

also when i pulled the trigger, the leak stopped down the barrel, but i heard a tiny bit of air passing through the on/off. well it sounded like the air pressure in the on-off built up until it sealed 100%. this lasted a few seconds before it sealed all the way. this kind of ruled out the on/off valve as having trouble until i heard that little bit of air.

also something that came to mind was that im using the aka extreme lube. ive read stuff that says only use autolube or another kind. i was under the assumption that most of these air tool oils were the same or almost the same. could using the wrong kind of lube make weird stuff happen like orings not sealing properly?

at one point it sounded like a bunch of liquid was flowing through the valve like a bubbling sound. could this be from using too much oil?

sorry for the n00b questions but id really like to get back into mags and this is not helping lol.

Sounds like you need the next size down carrier for the LVL 7.

i dont believe i have a lvl 7 in there. unless they came stock on minimags. it is an A.I.R. valve.
    and what would the carrier be?

Pretty sure it is a Level 7 actually. Pics would remove all doubt. It's actually a spacer, not carrier. I was typing while doing something else.

ok i thought the spacer could be it. i would have to order a kit to play around with.
    it looks similar to #3&4 but that part in the middle is more recessed.

it looks pretty old school to me

A pic of the actual bolt would be best, but a quick way to figure out is ... does the brass powertube tip have a hex head on it or a slot where you can use a coin to unscrew it?

Quote Originally Posted by baconquilt View Post
    it looks similar to #3&4 but that part in the middle is more recessed.
    That sounds like a foamie bolt, minus the foamie.

That sear doesn't look like it's too worn. I would wager problem is the missing power tube seal.

The sear looks fine. The bolt is definitely a foamy bolt with the foamy missing.

The red arrow on the powertube threads is definitely where the red oring goes. It needs to be there and will leak if not in place. It is probably where your leak is coming from.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

it really sounds like the air was pouring down the barrel. i mean that very well could be the case and i really hope it is.
    i need more air to finish testing.

i did notice when aired up and i pulled the trigger, the leak stopped. then when i released the trigger, i was looking into the chamber through the power feed hole and noticed that the bolt was moving forward just a tad(about 1/8 inch) and letting that air vent. i then stuck a long allen key down the body and pushed back on the bolt hoping that it would seal up and it did slightly. but thats when i ran out of air lol.

that is also when i started thinking it could be a sear issue if it was worn down too much and allowing the bolt to rest slightly farther forward than it should and thus allowing air to escape.

It could be that without the powertube red o-ring the powertube get's little deeper than it normally would and that is causing some leak because the bolt doesn't seal properly. Just like having too large spacer in the powertube.

thats a good point. never thought of that. but when the whole assembly is screwed together, it looks flush and normal.

Power tube tip is unlikely. The o-ring is there just to keep it from moving, as far as I know.

But glad you managed to solve the problem.

im not so sure which one it actually was because i installed all three at the same time. i guess i COULD go back and try for the reverse leak affect by swapping out those orings again. lol