Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing the waters for RTP length AM/MM rail.

Testing the waters for RTP length AM/MM rail.

I have an opportunity to purchase some AM/MM rail extrusion that was made to AGD spec.
    So would there be any interest in a RTPro length rail of this type?
    I don't have any specific styles in mind but I'm completely open to a new rail design or perhaps a few.
    Of course current designs can be incorporated into the longer length.
    I would really like to do a preorder in a large enough number that I could pass a good deal to those willing to prepay.
    I want to finish the LPRFG before we start any machining on these but I wanted to get a discussion started now so we can knock these out when the time comes.
    LMK what you would like to see.

Here is a concept drawing of an AM Rail at about 9.1" long.
    (Stock rails are 8.0" long)

What kind of sear pin would this use out of curiosity? I know you have the LPRFG in mind when making this rail, but any thought of making a AM length rail that had RTPro characteristics?

Automag sear.
    This is an Automag extrusion, you cant really turn in into an RTP.
    An RTP rail would be different project and made from billet.
    This project would allow me to take advantage of extrusion that is currently available to me.

I like it for the simple fact that it can be milled and not have the screw holes of the RTP rail.

I also like the idea of milling them to be similar to your current milling patterns, just bigger. I would love to see it milled to match the front radius of the LPRFG, then something like the Beta milling.

Quote Originally Posted by lancecst View Post
    I like it for the simple fact that it can be milled and not have the screw holes of the RTP rail.
    The AM/MM rail never did have the side holes... (??)

I would love someone to do an RT length of the ultralight rails(hole less of course)

OK, what holes on the AM rail are you guys talking about? You lost me! lol

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    OK, what holes on the AM rail are you guys talking about? You lost me! lol
    I was just saying that i would personally like an RT length hole less am/mm rail

Do you mean you want an RTP rail without site rail and forgrip mount holes? Because the Automag rail didn't have holes on the sides.

I think he means the holes in stock rtp and emag rails...I would be interested in a rail depending on design...and price of course...

Maybe a stupid question, but can you give a head on rendering of the mock up above?

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but can you give a head on rendering of the mock up above?
    What is the focus on?

What is the focus on?
    I know you are just using the LPRF for reference, but I still would like to see what the fit looks like width wise with an AM rail and the LPRF.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    I think he means the holes in stock rtp and emag rails...I would be interested in a rail depending on design...and price of course...
    Me too, but that is not how it's worded.

I meant RTP length but without the screw holes.

Quote Originally Posted by lancecst View Post
    I meant RTP length but without the screw holes.
    I'm currently exploring this because of the availability of the extrusion.
    If there is no interest in a new length AM rail I can easily just skip it, no harm no foul.
    However it is my intent to stop milling factory rails and sale only scratch built from billet.
    I don't know when, but that is the intent, so you will no doubt see the RTP style rail (hole less) in the future.
    With that said, it could possibly mean the AM rail is dropped from the line up in favor of the RTP style rails. Time will tell or better yet this thread will.

A custom variation without holes of the RTP rail always seamed like it would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I know you are just using the LPRF for reference, but I still would like to see what the fit looks like width wise with an AM rail and the LPRF.
    The picture looks goofy, but grip frames and grips are even wider yet.

The picture looks goofy, but grip frames and grips are even wider yet.

Its nice to have a reference point. When you said it was wider than an AM rail, I wasnt sure if you meant the entire width or just the part it touches. This is definitely more telling and gives me a better idea of what I will want to do. Thanks.

I am down for a couple of the am rails that flow with your theme of past- mini vert & present - lpr foregrip. Something like your design of the am praxis, especially if you are able to pass along savings to the buyers d/t the cost effective rail extrusions available.

I am trying to understand the benefit of some of those who have spoken concerning the RTP rail? What am I missing to appreciate, or is it cosmetic looks?

The sear is the only relevance I know and the RTP rails tend to be a little bigger.
    Last edited by luke; 04-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.

i should probably post this in your LPRFG thread, but would it be out of the question to machine tops to fit to am/mm style winged rails? It doesnt look like it would alter the design all that much (other than being taller)

Quote Originally Posted by sQuidvision View Post
    i should probably post this in your LPRFG thread, but would it be out of the question to machine tops to fit to am/mm style winged rails? It doesnt look like it would alter the design all that much (other than being taller)

it mite not even need to be taller if the top of the fore grip was made similar to the DW fore grip? something universal would be best, since these are made for RTP/E-Mag length rails (flat)...and the thought of RTP/E-Mag length AM/MM rails (winged) is being tossed around?

...and the thought of RTP/E-Mag length AM/MM rails (winged) is being tossed around?
    Yes if the market supports it, I'll make them. (preorder)
    Last edited by luke; 04-30-2013 at 09:00 AM.

This would be awesome, able to put snatch grip or back bottle would be great. Having flat sides for slick look would be cool, or some other designs.

Two screw is universal, fits AM/MM/RTP, EM and all others as long as you have a slot.

Yes if the market supports it, I'll make them. (preorder)

actually the 3 hole design is universal, and DW took that a step further by having their fore grips winged for classic am/mm rails and then having the part to make the top of the fore grip flat for RTP/E-Mag rails?

i guess people are just asking for options thats all? and i was just throwing out a possible option for ya man?

Would be down for one or 2 along with one or two LPRFGs. I would at least like an option to get the front milled to match the front radius of the LPRFG. Also some kind of milling with curves/ radii to flow with the LPRFG and your Vert frame would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    actually the 3 hole design is universal, and DW took that a step further by having their fore grips winged for classic am/mm rails and then having the part to make the top of the fore grip flat for RTP/E-Mag rails?

i guess people are just asking for options thats all? and i was just throwing out a possible option for ya man?
    Can we please move questions about the LPR to its thread? Thanks.

Sans the wings I would be interested

I think it's extruded with the wings. Luke would be cutting it longer and drilling/milling the holes and pockets accordingly.