Thread: radios and tactical vests?

radios and tactical vests?

working on getting a full setup for the October game of thrones scenario. And future scenario games. Plan to go with a local scenario team. And probably start going to most of the ones they hit in a year. So I'm just trying to plan ahead for the stuff I've never used in paintball before.

In searching for radios this was the best thread I came up with. https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...-Walky-talkies. just wondering if these are still considered the go to radios for use since that thread is so old? And what headset do people seam to like? And if they can be set up to work with other brand radios that people generally use with paintball. That way if I'm on a team using different radios I can still communicate. Rather spend a little more money now for more universal use later.

Also. Tactical vests? Back in the day I used a Indian creek designs 4 pack that held 4 100 round pods. Now I've been using a redz pack with 2 dye twist locks. Almost the same paint in a lot less space. But for scenario duty I'm thinking my wife will prob want my redz pack. She doesn't shoot as much as me and just carries a little 2 pack with 2 100 round tubes. And I will want something bigger than the redz I have now. Local guys are all using the tippman 6+2+1 tactical vest. And I like it. But just wondering if there are any other vests people like better. Due to where I live I have to buy stuff to see it in person. I just plan to carry paint.
    Water. Radio. And gun cleaning stuff. Barrel swabs ect. What do the seasons scenario guys like in both regards?

Thanks for any and all help.

Have you thought about going the molle route that way you can customize and control what's on your vest and what's not.

Honestly. When I started looking at vests online a few days ago I figured out real quick that I was in way over my head without asking questions on here. I know nothing. Molle rout? Only thing I do know is that I want all pods on the back side. And it has to work with the dye lock lids. I am generally an aggressive front pusher player. So anything bulky on the front would screw me all up. when searching for tactical vests on here all the posts I was getting were too old for me to have faith in them. New products. Product revisions. Ect. Change the game all the time on what is a better option.

Now that I've searched the net a little..... that is one nice vest! Little pricey. But that is one nice setup with a lot of options. Build a vest won't work on my phone though :-(
    Last edited by blackdeath1k; 05-15-2013 at 12:32 AM.

i think a harness will work for you, not a whole vest. (Shameless Plug) I actually have one for sale. i'm not sure what color you are looking for but the suspenders themselves are molle and would allow u to add a radio pouch. If you don't like that ANS is selling an Angel molle harness. Give that one a look also.

If I already had a bigger harness I would go that direction and not think twice. But since anything I do will involve me buying everything. That molle setup is looking pretty good. For now I can set it up with back pods camel pack. Shoulder radio. And a couple pockets to hold stuff. And as I play more scenarios I can fine tune it. A harness is a harness. Not real adaptable. I'll look at your suspenders though. I might also discover I really like the difference in weight distribution. And just reconfigure the molle for normal play. And change it back for scenario.

Now for the radio topic? Any info newer than that 07 post I linked?

Nothing on radios, sorry. But on harnesses also give the Dye harness a look. I know they are pricey but they have lots of options that allow you to add and subtract at will.

I found a surplus molle desert rig that adapts well. I change out the pouches depending on the kind of game I'm playing. Right now, I'm still using my 12 gram/shotgun pouch as a horizontal radio pouch, since I don't play 12g in scenarios. I miss my old shoulder pouch (non-molle)

For radio mics, I like the single ear bud type. They don't work for everyone, but they are easy to care for and sound good when there is lots of noise around.

Be careful with the size of your camel bak and your vest load on your back. If you get your water pack sitting on your pods or bottle, it can get very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns View Post
    Nothing on radios, sorry. But on harnesses also give the Dye harness a look. I know they are pricey but they have lots of options that allow you to add and subtract at will.
    I second the dye molle harness or vest. The older 2011 models are both on sale right now on ANSgear.com ($49.95 for the harness and $59.95 for the vest). I actually just switched out my Rap4 vest for a dye vest because of the prices. I wouldn't pay $150 for it, but at $59.95 it's a great quality vest (very light, breathable, comes with a bladder pocket). You'll need to buy accessories for it too, so expect to spend $100+ for everything.

The Angel "fat boy" harness that Carnage Reigns suggested is also a great choice if you're on a tight budget. It comes with most of the accessories you'll need.

As for radios, your best bet will be to check Amazon's reviews.

Liking the dye vest. And 59 for the camo one isn't bad. I'm thinking with the vest I can mount my pods higher on my back than how they sit with any of the belt style packs I've used. And I would love that. I don't run remote. So it will also be nice getting rid of the tank pouch I never use.

How is the mesh as far as getting hung on stuff? Snags ect?

Well the 60 bux is a nice price. But x/xx large is bound to be to big for me. 5 '10". and 160lb.
    Last edited by blackdeath1k; 05-15-2013 at 09:58 PM.

I guess they sold out of the M/L. They still have it in Black. The harness isn't a bad choice either. You can always attach a molle camel back or the back plate.

It doesn't snag too much. The molle straps are sewn on tightly. It's much higher quality than most vests I've seen.

Also, if you play with your pods facing down, get the "assault pod pack". If you play with them facing up, get the "modular pod pack"

I always have my pods facing down. Actually been looking at some military malle vests. No paintball brand name seams to make the price go down. Haha. The non vest options look OK. But I wouldn't be able to move my pods up the back till I find that happy place. I'd kinda be hung. And moving the pods up is prob 50% of me kinda wanting the tactical setup. I may still go with the dye. Idk. Not really wanting all black though.

Dye has the dye cam harness also.
    Last edited by Carnage reigns; 05-16-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns View Post
    Dye has the dye cam harness also.
    The cam one is sold out for 59 bux. I've been shopping. In looking if I go dye I like the 2.0 in the dye cam. Just have to find one.