Thread: Totmacher 13, my first automag-ish marker.

Post Totmacher 13, my first automag-ish marker.

A bit more than a year ago, I found myself in position of a good condition (i.e. barely used) FN303, complete.

I immediately had the valve off to my local machine shop for cutting the laser welds and, turning me a custom, delrin insert that fills the entire volume except for the minimal amount needed for proper velocity and, ensuring a smooth rear to front air flow to the powertube.

I then immediately set about getting more magazines (I wanted to build up what I consider to be my required inventory as I know these things can be very hard to get). Once I had the magazines I needed (late march of this year), I then set about setting it up for paintball.

Tymcneer (Brass Monkey Customs) found that the machine shop took just a hair too much material from the valve and it was causing me problems. He fixed that problem and, installed a ULT trigger to give me a short, crisp pull. I also had him re-thread me a Hammerhead barrel to get rid of the fin, and adapt it for Autococker threads. I also had a custom raincover fabricated. I set it up for a remote line and, duracoated it in my custom camo pattern:

I set it up initially with an HHA Optimizer, a Leupold Laser Rangefinder, and my custom 22x Zoom GoPo camera (I intend to capture video of those targets I shoot at ranges farther than 40yds), held in place by Inception Designs' Picatinny GoPro mount and, a custom offset made by Olane over on MCB:

A few notes about myself that are somewhat relevant:

For three years now, I've shot nearly nothing but FS rounds. I've published lots of ballistics information about .68, .50 and FS rounds and how to apply external ballistics to our hobby. I also maintain an FS Field listing (over on MCB) for others like myself.

Psst- I entered Totmacher 13 in the MOTM, if you like it, throw it a vote

Edit: Some more recent pics:

Last edited by uv_halo; 11-02-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: re-linked images and added a couple more.

Most impressive.

you were at LL6 right?

That would be correct, we met and you kept trying to get me to meet your friends (or maybe other AO members) but, I was waay too busy- getting ready for insertions and such.

Any chance we can get the rain cover breakdown?
    Just curious about the set up.

it's a full on design however, it's not as effective as I'd like so, I'm in the middle of 're-core-ing' it

I have been going over a few ideas in my head, so I am interested in seeing how you went about it.

Very cool. When I saw the entry in Motm, I thought it was some sort of airsoft shroud around a Mag. This is waaay better. Would love to play with one of these one day and see how much I liked it.

Excellent job on this!

Thanks for posting the writeup, I was also wondering what it was after seeing it in motm last night.

I'll enter it on the Open class poll as it's not a Classic Mag anyway but that's a fantastic marker you got there.

I think that will be the first FN-303 ever on the MOTM!

Any chance you could post up some more pics of it? I'd love to have a better view of the camera and optics.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsd View Post
    Any chance you could post up some more pics of it? I'd love to have a better view of the camera and optics.

I'll second that.... this is too cool... I would love to see more details if you're willing to share

Here's a couple more:

The Optic is a Lucid HD7 that I'll be moving to one of my real steel guns. I bought it initially for it's circle and dot reticle which came close to matching the actual spread of FS rounds from a smoothbore barrel- They fly much better from a rifled barrel so, that reticle isn't that useful for me and, I've got a new optic on the way (it was a lot of money so, I'll post details of it once I know it is useful here).

The box on the gun's right side is a Leupold Laser Rangefinder. For ranges under 60yds it is a beast. Aim at your target with your optics, hit thumb button, it spits out a range. Paired with an HHA Optimizer rail (large dial underneath optic) it allows for precise adjustment. Unfortunately, the riser doesn't work to well for FPS ranges under 280. I'll be switching back to my shortened Tiberius riser.

The GoPro (Hero2) is fitted with a Ragecams 50mm zoom lens and it works out to a fixed focal length 22x zoom (focused to about 25yds+ so, closer gets somewhat fuzzier but, the magnification still makes it intelligible). This camera when fitted with the LCD backpac essentially sees the same, or slightly better than I do with the 2x magnifier on the Lucid. It's mounted to a custom offset that is mounted to the adjustable riser so, it moves with the optic when I adjust the riser. Unfortunately, operator error prevented me from getting any usable footage from Living Legends. The lens got tilted slightly downward so, I got lots of ground footage and I failed to check it. Trust me, I won't be making that error again.

I'm a lefty rifle shooter so, the camera is outboard to allow for good perspective and, the rangefinder is inboard as I only need it for initial ranging.

In general terms the raincover is a classical K-baffle design which doesn't work too good (it was an experiment as I've made several other designs that perform better than this one). This is why I'm re-coring it.

Quote Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
    That would be correct, we met and you kept trying to get me to meet your friends (or maybe other AO members) but, I was waay too busy- getting ready for insertions and such.
    yea other members. they were impressed there was a 303 there