Thread: Lens removal? mask options.

Lens removal? mask options.

In searches I found a lot of mask threads. But the only ones that commented on lens removal are old. So here I am.

Bought a flex8 back in February or so. I use it when the wife doesn't play. Nice mask for the price. And my old spectra the rest of the time. Mask is getting a new crack every time I wear it. Got to replace before it dies for good. I've tried on the dye I4 and like it. Also like the Grill. But not got to test it out. My big question is. What masks have the easiest lens removal? And minimal fogging? I swear every shot I take while behind a bunker is in the face or hand. And its a pain to remove or just clean the JT lenses. I want something with lenses easier to remove and clean. Thanks for any help.

Everyone complains about the JT mask, except me. I can take a lens out and put a new one in in about a minute. As long as you do install it correctly it goes quick.

The i4 does have a really easy lens change though. I personally think the mask is to small, atleast for me.

If you like the Spectra and flex's the look at the Empire E-Flex. They use E'vents/Avatar lenses very simple to remove the lens from. with the flex lowers your used to. I have used the JT's (flex and spectra), Invert Avatar (lower cost version of the E'vent), Vforce, and a few others. If I were to buy a new mask today and it couldn't be a Flex 8 it would be a E'flex.

I am still using a Spectra goggle with a flex lower and soft ears.

Oh Ive not ruled out buying a flex8 for myself. Not that there is any flex to it. But the spectra line has been great quality for decades. Or get the wife one with the helmet attachment. And me take hers. Price is right with that option. I'm just looking. I4 and grill were named Cuz I love the look of the grill. And the I4 is a tight profile with FAST lens removal and comfortable.

Most of the newer masks have easy to replace lenses. E-flexes are good if you have a larger head, and I4's for smaller heads. I also hear nothing but good things about Profilers. Ive never tried them, but I know they also have quick change lenses as well.

Stupid me! YouTube has everything. The grill is almost as easy to remove the lens as the I4. And a lot cheaper. I like my thermal JT lens. Never fog. Ever! But all the reviews on the grill lens are great. Doesn't look much bigger either. So now its a hard choice. But I'm inching in the grill direction.

SJRTK. I just don't like the look of them at all. Idk. I guess maybe my mind had 3 options to begin with and now I'm just trying to pick one. Flex8, Grill, I4. The dyes biggest issue of size didn't feel to be an issue when I wore it. So that's not a concern to me.

Proto Axis are my favorite...super easy to take lenses off and they are comfy too

I run a V-Force Grill. They're awesome and simple, and if you ever want to mount a camera to the side you can bolt it directly to the lens retention clips as they're just a cheap $2 replacement. Now that the Grill has dual-pane thermal lenses available, it's a hands down winner. Better face coverage than the i4's, better looks (subjective opinion, of course), cheaper price generally, and optional visor.

I switched over to V-force masks with the Morph, then used the Profiler, followed by the Grill. They are easy to keep clean and lens changes are so fast and easy as well.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    I switched over to V-force masks with the Morph, then used the Profiler, followed by the Grill. They are easy to keep clean and lens changes are so fast and easy as well.
    Any fogging? What's the field of vision compared to the spectra line from JT? Looks to be a smaller profile mask than most. But not as small as the I4. Is this correct?

^ Profilers and Grills are said to have the most peripheral vision out of any mask. I've never had a problem with my E-flex's or JT Spectra Lenses, so I think any top level mask now days will be fine with regard to anti-fogging and field of vision. I think it's best to just go to a store and try them on.

I refuse to buy masks, clothing/protective gear, and paint online (unless I've already bought that exact item before). Those are the items you want to see, feel, or try on before buying.

Another positive for the Grill is the quick-change foam. Not that I ever need to "quick-change" anything, but a simple, cheap foam replacement and it feels like you have a brand new mask again.

I didn't have any fogging issues when I used a single-pane lens, and definitely none on the dual-pane lenses. Once when running the single-pane on a very hot and humid day I got some water vapor buildup from breathing heavy, which is really a different issue than fogging due to temperature variances; but there's no lens that can withstand that kind of thing.

Rschoi. Going to the store sounds great. Except for when it costs me 60 dollars in gas and a day to get to the nearest store. And who knows if said store will have what I want to see in stock. Just like buying motorcycle gear. A 100 dollar paintball mask is nothing compared to a 600+ dollar helmet. Or 1000+ dollar leather. That said. Knock on wood. I've always had good luck researching stuff online then ordering. And that's a good thing since its really my only option.

Justice. Ive never had a fogging issue at all with my thermal lens. Just didn't know if I needed to go ahead and get one when I order the mask or not.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=360426562047

Pulled the trigger on this. Should be a good woods lens. I still like the look of the grill. But the lens seams to not give any more field of vision than the spectra I have now. And only be a little smaller. So I4 here I come!

Thanks for all the help guys. Six not living close to a good shop at times.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Rschoi. Going to the store sounds great. Except for when it costs me 60 dollars in gas and a day to get to the nearest store.
    Ouch... you'll get no argument from me. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rschoi_75 View Post
    Ouch... you'll get no argument from me. I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Yah. When I looked at where you are from I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    ...the lens seams to not give any more field of vision than the spectra I have now...
    The design of the grill mask gives it quite a bit more field of view than a goggle type which the spectra is. The I4 is actually very similar in field of view to the grill, so you should be quite happy with your purchase.

Well the wife liked the grill also. So there is a chance I end up with both in the long run. But the I4 I have actually wore. And I liked the fit and feel. And loved how easy the lens removes. Since I swear every time I get shot. If its not while running. Is in my fingers/gun. Or face. Last time I played I took 3 mask hits. And 3 or 4 hand hits. Only one game did I get out by a body hit. And that was forcing advancement with a last ditch effort.

We will see. But it for sure has more visibility than what I'm used too.

I'd rate the Grill slightly higher than the i4 in ease of lens replacement, probably because I've used them more, but both are really easy. I've had three sets of Grills and recently got some i4s as well. They're close in terms of comfort - the i4 feels slightly lighter on your face, although with less coverage and no visor/peak (booo!). Only note of caution with the Grill is that the stock lens can fog (the single-pane lens on the earlier Grills was great, but quality control went downhill), so I'd recommend buying a dual pane lens as well.

I hope you get the lens you want in the i4s, but be prepared for a possible disappointment - black i4s used to come stock with the HD lens, but lately have been shipping with clear, but lots of dealers are still using the original photos.

Gadget. That is a wonderfully detailed review. Thank you. Makes me want to buy the grill also. One of the shops selling on eBay is selling new grills with dual pane thermal lenses for 80 shipped. Almost bought them.

The I4 better come with the HD since we discussed it and I paid the 10 dollars extra they asked for for the HD instead of the clear.

Mask came in today. Altered exactly as requested. Best eBay communication ever. I am one happy customer.