Thread: ULE Feedneck Removal

ULE Feedneck Removal

What is the best/easiest way you guys have found to remove the stock freedneck from a ULE body?

Also will THIS feedneck work on the ULE body?

Thanks!

Strap wrench. If loctited you can try boiling it for a bit to loosen it up. If that doesn't work you can always try a pair of pliers. To be quite honest the stock feednecks are worthless so messing them up isn't a big deal. If you really have a tough time with it you can drill a hole all the way through and use a screw driver through the holes to twist it out.

Yes that feedneck will work.

Awesome! Thank you.

Quite often, boiling can't get the temperature high enough to break the Loctite bond. You'll need an oven. Then use a strap wrench to turn it out.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Just like a strap wrench, a heat gun is a relatively inexpensive tool that everyone should own. I think they're either $10 or $12 from Harbor Freight. That gets the job done in a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Just like a strap wrench, a heat gun is a relatively inexpensive tool that everyone should own. I think they're either $10 or $12 from Harbor Freight. That gets the job done in a few seconds.
    While I agree to a degree, why spend $20-30 on strap wrenches and heat guns to remove a.. and I'm being generous $5 part? Drill a hole in it, wrench it off or whatever and throw it away.

Well I'm not saying to buy a heat gun just for stock ULE feedneck removals. There are a lot of applications. You run enough used guns through your hands, and you're going to come across red loctite. It's inevitable.

Didn't mean to start such a debate lol Anyways, not to take sides but I tried the strap wrench, didn't work so I took OPBN's advise and drilled a whole threw the feedneck and stuck a screwdriver in and turned, it worked. It came off incredibly easy once I had good leverage on it.

Implicit in the instructions "use a heat gun on the thing" is the purchase of a heat gun.

Implicit in the instructions "just drill a hole in it" is the purchase of ... drumroll please... a drill.

So the whole "why spend $x on a heat gun that you should have anyways" is no different than "why spend $y on a drill that you should have anyways."
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

i always use my hands,
    with a little help from show mechanix gloves and a strip of rubber backed shop carpet.gives no slip and comes right off.
    i hold the feedneck wraped in carpet rubber and my hand, then i stick a nylon or wood dowel rod through the body and start twisting.

takes a few tries, but i have yet to come across a stock ule feedneck that i couldnt take off, and i have come across alot of bodies.
    *no damage, and anyone who has meet me wich are few, im am by no means a gorilla of strength.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Implicit in the instructions "use a heat gun on the thing" is the purchase of a heat gun.

Implicit in the instructions "just drill a hole in it" is the purchase of ... drumroll please... a drill.

So the whole "why spend $x on a heat gun that you should have anyways" is no different than "why spend $y on a drill that you should have anyways."
    True. I assume most people have or at least have access to a drill since its a pretty basic tool. Not so much, but true if someone doesn't have a drill they would have to buy one. In this case the OP did in fact have a drill and not a heat gun so it's all good.

what I did... lol, pushed my EmpireB as far as I could and twisted counter clock wise and BOOM! EXPLODED!