Thread: is it worth fixing

is it worth fixing

bought a rt mag off ebay,,the valve is in great shape,,,The bolt is chewed up,,,needs a new sear as well,,,,prolly a new oring kit as well as a bolt spring...Upon further tearing the gun apart I noticed the bolt that is attached to the body that sits down inside of the grip frame is broke off....Thinkin that's why it is malfunctioning because the only thing holding the body to the rail is the banjo srew....So the bolt is slipping past the sear...Could jb weld fix this..

From what you describe, I would say no to the jb weld.

A chewed up bolt sounds like a good reason to just put a level 10 in it.

If the screw is the only other thing wrong then it doesn't sound beyond repair. A broken screw can be extracted if you know what you are doing.

Is it possible for you to post some pics? Perhaps then we could give you some more specific suggestions.

Send it to Tuna, he will fix it.

you can get a new body. XMT has RT style aluminium bodies for sale.

L10 will solve any bolt problems as well as remove any chopping.

the body will cost you some money, but the orings and a couple of screws is nothing. saving a gun is always a worthy endeavor.

The screw isn't broke off its the nut that is attached to the body that came off

Quote Originally Posted by allns47 View Post
    The screw isn't broke off its the nut that is attached to the body that came off
    It can be soldered back on.

Is it a classic RT? Those PIMs break off fairly often. Luke welded one back on for me once and did a great job. Get it fixed, send it to Tuna (or me) and it will be up and running in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Is it a classic RT? Those PIMs break off fairly often. Luke welded one back on for me once and did a great job. Get it fixed, send it to Tuna (or me) and it will be up and running in no time.
    ^this^

My guess is part of your question is wondering about the value. Not sure what you paid for it on Ebay, but going price around here seems to be $150-200 depending on condition, if its complete, etc. There is one listed right now in the BST's at the low end that actually looks to be in good condition at $150.

They have their issues and are difficult to dress up, but I think they are a pretty good deal if you don't mind working with them. Once you get them ironed out, they are solid RT mags. If you can work around the few options on the body, a level 10 and a ninja SHP bottle will make it perform like any high end mag.

The banjo bolts can be a nuisance on the older ones, but that can be fixed too.

I wouldn't trust JB Weld to hold it.

I would say its not worth it. I'd rather have a functioning classic than a brain dead RT.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

ah, didn't know exactly what you where talking about.

the choice is yours on whether or not you should fix it. bringing a gun back from the dead is worthy just to say, "I fixed that!".

i would go with the new body myself. old RTs are heavy beasts, IMO. the new body is lighter and has a mark of dressing it up to what you want it. all read RT, the new body can be anno'd for it. so the choice is yours.

don't listen to Goatboy, he uses a Q loader and only shoots like 200 balls during a game, plus he has weak arms so he can't carry a man's gun.

I paid 120 for it.....the weight does not bother me and as for dressing it up....just want a Lvov 10. I spoke with tuna and I am gonna send it to him
    Last edited by allns47; 06-25-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by allns47 View Post
    I paid 120 for it.....the weight does not bother me and as for dressing it up....just want a Lvov 10. I spoke with tuna and I am gonna send it to him
    You have made a wise choice grasshoppa

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    ah, didn't know exactly what you where talking about.

the choice is yours on whether or not you should fix it. bringing a gun back from the dead is worthy just to say, "I fixed that!".

i would go with the new body myself. old RTs are heavy beasts, IMO. the new body is lighter and has a mark of dressing it up to what you want it. all read RT, the new body can be anno'd for it. so the choice is yours.

don't listen to Goatboy, he uses a Q loader and only shoots like 200 balls during a game, plus he has weak arms so he can't carry a man's gun.
    Heh... actually it’s closer to 70 rounds per game, unless it’s respawn or something crazy like that. Rest is true though.

I just tend to steer people away from RT’s.

If the body is toast, the bolt is toast, the spring is toast, and the sear is toast, that’s probably $50 worth of stuff just to get it operational again. That’s halfway to a functional used Classic.

So at this point you either cut your losses or go for the old fashioned double-down.

Sentimentality aside, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. And if you’re the sentimental type, there seems to be little worth in asking about worth...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...wn-shop/n9679/

But looks like OP made his choice, so good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Sentimentality aside, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. And if you’re the sentimental type, there seems to be little worth in asking about worth...

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...wn-shop/n9679/

But looks like OP made his choice, so good luck with that.
    Some people, SOME PEOPLE, prefer cupcakes, but I...wait...

If you WANT just any RT type automag, a Classic RT is a pretty good deal. They are not much heavier than a stock classic mag. Really though, I have never found an automag arrangement that is a better value than another. You may not have a need for the extra that you would pay for, but if you want it, the price follows the overall demand which is pretty close to the performance of the parts or the ease of assembly (or the style factor).

The only way a mag is not "worth it" is when you paid more than the common market price for the parts, or it just isn't what you wanted to work with in the first place.