Thread: whats a good barrel kit?

whats a good barrel kit?

looking for some info on whats good out there, probably going to buy used

I like my Dye UL personally

I almost hate to say it but the Freak kit is nice. I only have to tote around the case full of backs. I have a Freak back on all of my guns and only need to add an insert. I don't have to worry about the threading or whatever else. They seem to be a good control bore length that doesn't slow down the velocity very noticeably. Buying the backs for each gun can be expensive so if you just get black it will match most guns and be easy to resell.

Want the best barrel kit ever? Get a Deadlywind fibur and a set of Freak inserts. That's the definitive kit you will ever going to use. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsd View Post
    Want the best barrel kit ever? Get a Deadlywind fibur and a set of Freak inserts. That's the definitive kit you will ever going to use. Seriously.
    x2

I've fell in love with my sly carbon fiber kit since the first time I shot it and its still my barrel 90% of the time...I'd have to say anything freak other than that

Freaks are the most convenient to use for the reasons kwik stated above. Most of my barrels are freak based. One very good thing about freaks is that everyone has them (this includes people shooting DW barrels), and every shop sells them. So if you need an insert on the fly, chances are someone will be able to help you out, or the shop will have it on hand.

I personally like Kaners the best, but you need to make sure your paint isn't too small since they only go down to .682. The new dye competition balls shoot amazing through them since they avg .684-.687. They aren't made anymore, so most of the time you have to buy them used. PBGateway still sells them in individual pieces.

I hear great things about Dye UL's, but I've never tried a full kit. They were always a little too steep in price for my tastes.

I've owned a freak kit since 04' and have been very pleased with its performance. I've heard people complain about the dimensional consistency of the thin aluminum inserts, but I've never had an issue with them and have never taken the 30 seconds necessary to actually measure them.

I recently acquired a Lapco Desert Edge Fuse barrel kit. I am very impressed with the quality of construction and finish of the bores. I have put maybe 800 rounds through it in the backyard and it has been very consistent. I have yet to have it out on the field so I am holding off on giving it an all out endorsement til after that happens.

**edit**
    I would add that although I have never owned a Kaner, I have borrowed one on a few occasions and agree with what Rich said about them. I wouldn't hesitate to grab one that's in good shape if I were looking for a barrel kit.
    Last edited by Levi; 07-05-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Buy a stainless freak insert kit and the pick your favorite freak compatible barrel. If no barrels suit you, a BUNCH of places can bore just about any barrel for inserts. If you wanna save money then get the aluminum kit. The nice thing about the freak kit is if you ever get a marker with differing barrel threads, you're inserts still work for that gun too; you just need a different host barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumagger View Post
    Buy a stainless freak insert kit and the pick your favorite freak compatible barrel. If no barrels suit you, a BUNCH of places can bore just about any barrel for inserts. If you wanna save money then get the aluminum kit. The nice thing about the freak kit is if you ever get a marker with differing barrel threads, you're inserts still work for that gun too; you just need a different host barrel.

I totally agree with this and forgot to add it to my statement above. I have a one piece G6R barrel that I had Freak bored and love it. Its on my Karta Mag that is just mech and shoots smooth, quiet, and consistent. Once again, just add insert.

I have been using tech-t's ifit/python kits for the last 3 years and have been very happy with how they perform.

I love my lapco snapshot kit but, I'm digging the shaft 4 because it makes removing the barrel a breeze.

I've used a freak kit for many of years, but I have been thinking of getting the new Shadow shake barrel kit. Each barrel back has a 6" control bore and you can get a aluminum or carbon fiber front.

suaze Guest
    Everyone has their favorite. Hopefully you can borrow the various kits before you buy one. I prefer my Kaner kit since paint has gotten back up to 0.682-0.684 around here. I like having weight to my barrel and having the choice of 12", 14" and 16" barrel with the tips included.

I've been using a Lapco with Apex2 but I just got a Gog Apex2 Freak tip.

Plan on using it next weekend at the Waynes World scenario.

Been using the Apex2 exclusively since it came out (love it !) but now adding a Freak in the mix.

I love my Powerlyte Scepter kit. Too bad they don't make them any more.

I also like my Powerlyte Scepter. I have one of the original style kits. Know anybody that will make inserts? My kit goes down to .684, and the paint has been rolling right through it the last two years or so. Not too big a deal unless I use it with my E2 Cocker.

-Nathan
    Last edited by nak81783; 07-07-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    I also like my Powerlyte Scepter. I have one of the original style kits. Know anybody that will make inserts? My kit goes down to .682, and the paint has been rolling right through it the last two years or so. Not too big a deal unless I use it with my E2 Cocker.

-Nathan

sweet guys I didnt know the freak fit otther barrels, i never cared really i had been using a mix of barrels! I like the kitt where u can do 12, 14 or the killer 16 lol. on the karner can it do smaller paint? its been a while and idk what paint he fields r using. thanks for your input!

suaze Guest
    Kaner backs are 0.682, 0.684, 0.687, 0.689 & 0.691

whats a good price on the karner? i tried to look dont see much? if i have 3 barrel choices thats cool i can mix it up!

As much as I dislike smart parts, I like my freak kit. I don't own another barrel because of it.

Smart Parts old school one piece All American barrels were amazing. But since the OP asked about kits, I'll stick with my Powerlyte Scepter recommendation.

-Nathan

i'll throw in my 2 cents...

there is no one "best" barrel kit. i've shot just about everything and there are times where 2 piece barrels are shooting great, then a one piece is so accurate. then inserts are good, or inserts are garbage.

it boils down to this. find something you like, mostly on looks, and find it in your price range. you can go with a sniper kit, freak, sleeper freak(i.e. a bored out one piece or even 2 piece barrel- i have a 1 piece Dye aluminium that is freak bored), CP, super freak, scepter, CCM, Uni-t kit, DW fibur, Shiv, Matchstik, UL, Bob Long, Shaft and the list goes on. there is a plethora of barrels out there, and there is a multitude of kits. if anything find one that will work on all your guns.