Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RainMan pump kits!

I don't have anything to go by as this is the only RM kit I have. I know that the stock AM kit that I have fits totally flush with the bottom of the rail and so does the XM15 kit. I did get a PM back from him saying that he thought the rail channel might be too narrow since his pump rod/arm whatever is thicker than the AGD one. I personally don't think that's it. When I pull the assembly apart and slide the pump arm in and out, it slides freely. As soon as I put everything together and snug up the front mounting screw it binds.

OPBN, I'll pm you the info I believe he needs for the fix and you can pass it on to him.

Being told that "this is how my kits have mounted from day 1". Not exactly the response I was hoping for.

Same issue here

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Same issue here

Is yours binding? If so, please contact him on MCB.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Is yours binding? If so, please contact him on MCB.
    Unfortunately I have no way of knowing at this point, as none of my classic rails are pump milled. I was planning on doing that myself as soon as I get around to wiring up my mill... which probably wont be for a few more weeks. I'm a picky bastard, and having that gap there is going to bug me... I'll probably end up fixing it myself I guess.

Mine works with problems. It's actually pretty good and doesn't bind or hang up with a pump stroke. I put a little graphite in the milled channel and everything seems to stroke fairly smooth. When I assembled I took the pump handle off and loosed the screws in hopes that any malaligned parts would align with a few initial pump strokes.

I had Luke mill my rail awhile ago
    Last edited by barkingspider; 10-26-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barkingspider View Post
    I had Luke mill my rail awhile ago
    Luke... do you mill the pump slot to AGD specs? Or do you open it up a little to make way for a beefier pump rod?

AGD spec.

The correct rod 'material' is available if you know what and where to buy, 'perhaps' it's a mystery...

(EDIT #3)lol
    Last edited by luke; 10-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    AGD spec.

The correct rod 'material' is available if you know what and where to buy, 'perhaps' it's a mystery...
    What diameter is the 'correct' material?

The pump rod that came with my kit measures in at 0.125"

0.125" is not AGD spec.

Material diameter should be 0.110"

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Material diameter should be 0.110"
    Thanks Luke!

I had a chance to examine this thing a little closer this morning. Just noticed that the mounting hole and slot are machined 0.020" off center

Notice how the slot cuts into the chamfer on one side but not on the other.

OPBN, from your pic it looks like yours may be the same way. It this perhaps contributing to the binding issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I had a chance to examine this thing a little closer this morning. Just noticed that the mounting hole and slot are machined 0.020" off center

Notice how the slot cuts into the chamfer on one side but not on the other.

OPBN, from your pic it looks like yours may be the same way. It this perhaps contributing to the binding issue?
    The closer I look, yes it does appear that it is very slightly off center. I will say that the milling for the pump arm does not appear to be as high up as yours either. There is no threading visible...

i had a pump kit that was made by him awhile back. picked it up 2nd hand. noticed the pump was binding really bad on other rails. his pump plate was not machined properly. i send him a pm about it and he said that he would be happy to sell me another pump plate after he finished the run he just did. i sold the kit because i refused to buy a plate. im going to be really mad if my kit that is coming in the mail is not correct.

so are these kits kinda messed up then. both of mine look like all the complaints here.
    whats next?

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    so are these kits kinda messed up then. both of mine look like all the complaints here.
    whats next?
    Not sure. So far all I have gotten is "your rail isn't milled as deep as mine are".

Just saw a post in MCB of someone else complaining that theirs is binding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Not sure. So far all I have gotten is "your rail isn't milled as deep as mine are".

Just saw a post in MCB of someone else complaining that theirs is binding as well.
    this is unusual for rainman correct?

here ya go

The gap in between the rail and mount has been there since the first kit. It how ever does not cause any issues. I have tested a few kits and each have the same result
    zero binding.
    In the past i have seen more kits bind form the body and aa/mm rail then my kits.

Other binding issues Are i could of incorrectly curved the pump rod. That is an issue that can be corrected on your own.

Video shows 2 kits just put on rails and body's i just milled in the last hour. they show no binding or sticking
    Pump stroke on a kit should be less the .400 (bunch of people on the last run want them this we and i left it that way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eFMW0FSZzb4

If you want to send your kits back fine. But if i test it on my rail and body and work fine you will be charge the return shipping and it will be sent back.

If you want to send your complete mag and have it corrected that's fine. But you my be charged depending on whats found.

These kits were always intended for my milling. They always had issues with stock agd milling. Due to size of the pump rods.
    Last edited by captian pinky; 10-27-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    whats next?
    I have not attempted to contact Rainman yet. Since I don't have a pump milled rail handy, I can't say with certainty whether mine is going to bind or not.

All functionality concerns aside, I can say that I'm not a fan of the mounting plate being visibly lopsided. I've also noticed that my pump handle isn't exactly concentric with the round plate that it mounts to. It's a very slight misalignment and something I'd be willing to let go, just curious if anyone else has noticed this? There's also a very slight flat spot on the edge of it, where it looks like he ran off the edge of his material with the part.

Frankly... with what I've heard about Rainman's work, I was expecting the quality to be a bit better.

Seems to me that Rainman ought to re make the mounting plates for us. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post

Other binding issues Are i could of incorrectly curved the pump rod.

These kits were always intended for my milling.

They always had issues with stock agd milling. Due to size of the pump rods.
    I call BS! It's just as easy to make the parts to AGD spec as not. This just causes trouble down the road for unsuspecting customers.

just want to post what i was talking about earlier in the event that someone had the same issue i did in the past. one of the plates i have been using for years the other was one that came to me 2nd hand, but should never have made it out of his shop.

Interesting. I have one of his older pump kits but I haven't been able to test it as I don't yet have a pump milled rail.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post

These kits were always intended for my milling. They always had issues with stock agd milling. Due to size of the pump rods.
    Yeah, I am not thrilled with this statement. Had I been told that I had to send my rail in for HIS specific milling, I would have thought twice. So essentially, this makes it a specific pump kit/rail combo from here on out. What is sad is, I am pretty certain that simply milling the pump plate correctly would correct the problem, at least in my case.

It is kind of disappointing ask was hoping to use the Armada rail from Luke. The only positive for me is that one of the mags in his test video was mine.

Luke, do you think that if I sent you his rail and the Armada rail you could try to widen the channel on the Armada to match. Or do you think you can mill his rail with only the exterior profile of the Armada rail.

I can't answer for Luke obviously, but why not mod the mounting plate instead of Lukes beautiful work?

well here is a post of his pump kits that clearly show that there is no gap between tha rail pump kit mount...maybe that was before day one tho...haha...oh wait thats not possible??? my last Rainman229 pump kit didnt have a gap and it didnt have any binding issues on any rail that was used.
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/r...-thread-4.html

that little gap is most likely wats causing tha binding issues....and as quickly as yall put your money in his pocket to get him tha cashola to do this run...he should have no problem fixing a mistake. id be pissed!!!

So...
    What would it take to put the correct pump rod stock on one of these? I bought a kit from one of his previous batches, but haven't had a chance to even take it out of the bubble wrap, yet and don't have a pump-milled rail/body combo to test it on.

Ok. So today I got in my pump milled Armada rail from Luke and decided to try the RM pump kit on it.... Doesn't bind. Not sure what to think at this point honestly. The rail that it was binding on is currently on its way to Luke for some additional milling so I am going to ask him to check the depth on it to see if it was a problem with the rail.