Thread: Alumiweld

Alumiweld

Anyone use this before? I have a Chimera frame that the previous owner made some milling mistakes on that I would like to repair. Seems like I remember someone talking about this stuff. Once the repairs are done can the repaired area be anodized? If so, how well does the repaired area match? Any input would be appreciated.

link to the stuff?

just guessing, but i would expect that the material is not going to match if you try to anno it. i'm guessing that the stuff is a filler that isn't aluminium. if you are wanting to fix a frame, take it too a welding shop that does aluminium work and have them put in a filler rod of 6061 or whatever the aluminium grade is of the frame.

The penis with ears above me is right. It's not real aluminum. Even sending it off to get fixed. The welded part will have a different hue depending on the color. Most dark colors, you can get away with but light colors...forget about it.

Its not filler, it's low heat aluminum welding. www.alumiweld.com. You can actually use a common propane torch making it easier for the home DIY. Figuring ano wouldn't work very well, but it would probably be an OK option if I decided to do powdercoating or ceracoating. Maybe even a clear dust ano. Not looking to have to pay a pro welder $100 to fix it.

It's zink bro.

I've used the stuff before.

Real aluminum would burn to a cinder.

Edit:

Talk with pillage, he might be able to help.

Yup it's Zinc. Ando is right.

Taken from their FAQ page:

Trade name: ALUMIWELD
    Chemical name: Zinc alloy
    Chemical family: Heavy metals
    Proper D.O.T Shipping Name: Solid metal rods, non-hazardous
    Formula: Proprietary
    D.O.T. hazard classification: N/A (not hazardous)

I'm guessing then if its zinc it can't be anodized anyways. Should still be able to be powdercoated I would think. Currently have the hole filled with a metal filler, but was to powdercoating didn't do well with it. Was looking for an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Talk with pillage, he might be able to help.
    listen to Ando and talk to Pillage:
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ck-body-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Its not filler, it's low heat aluminum welding. www.alumiweld.com. You can actually use a common propane torch making it easier for the home DIY. Figuring ano wouldn't work very well, but it would probably be an OK option if I decided to do powdercoating or ceracoating. Maybe even a clear dust ano. Not looking to have to pay a pro welder $100 to fix it.
    if you want it done right, spend the money. cheap fixes are always that, cheap. i'm lucky as i have a world class welder who is my friend. at most i would have to pay for gas or rod. so spend once, get it done right and have a pro welder fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    if you want it done right, spend the money. cheap fixes are always that, cheap. i'm lucky as i have a world class welder who is my friend. at most i would have to pay for gas or rod. so spend once, get it done right and have a pro welder fix it.
    Unfortunately I don't have that luxury. I also don't find he sense in spending too much money on something that would be easier to just replace. I would need to discuss with a pro to see what the cost would be, I feel pretty sure unless it was free that the cost involved would quickly outweigh the end value. This isn't a world class project, therefore it makes sense to only spend what is necessary to get it to a satisfactory point. I have heard that even welding properly does not always result in a flawless anodized surface. So spending the extra to have it done makes even less sense.

Pm me I minght be able to help. In fact I know I can

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    Pm me I minght be able to help. In fact I know I can
    I'll hit you up when it gets back in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have that luxury. I also don't find he sense in spending too much money on something that would be easier to just replace. I would need to discuss with a pro to see what the cost would be, I feel pretty sure unless it was free that the cost involved would quickly outweigh the end value. This isn't a world class project, therefore it makes sense to only spend what is necessary to get it to a satisfactory point. I have heard that even welding properly does not always result in a flawless anodized surface. So spending the extra to have it done makes even less sense.
    different shops and different welders have different prices. some might say, $20 to fix it(don't know the exact details of the damage, other than fixing some bad mill attempts), and you do the finish work(just need some sand paper and a file-its only aluminium you don't need a mill), or a $100 to get it where you want it exactly. i would say its stupid to NOT take it and have it it looked at, just to get a quote. plus, instead of trying to pinch a penny and get something that might work, you get the job done right the first time and spend the extra, knowing that it will be(or should be) stronger than it was before. hell, show a pic of it, and i'll get you a quote from my friend.

if the frame is 6061 aluminium, and the filler rod is 6061, the only difference in the anno would be contaminants left over or missed while cleaning it. actual welding doesn't change the the materials property, just foreign matter and different grades of aluminium.

Think I have it under control, but thanks for your input.