Thread: Looking for info

Looking for info

So, I've been out of paintball for quite a while now. I have my finances somewhat back to the point where I want to start playing again. I don't have any gear though. I need to get some ideas on cheaper, quality markers for tournament play.. A few companies went under since I quit playing so I'm kind of lost here. And as for AGD, do they still make parts if I decide to purchase an automag again? Thank you!

As far as AGD:

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php

http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/

Additionally, there are a few quality aftermarket parts manufacturers out there.

As for gear. Check the for sale threads around here. Just got a near mint grill mask for dirt. Plenty people changing setups and selling stuff. I know I'm getting ready to put a couple packs up for cheap.

And basic mags are anywhere from 50 on up functional depending what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAirgunRT View Post
    So, I've been out of paintball for quite a while now. I have my finances somewhat back to the point where I want to start playing again. I don't have any gear though. I need to get some ideas on cheaper, quality markers for tournament play.. A few companies went under since I quit playing so I'm kind of lost here. And as for AGD, do they still make parts if I decide to purchase an automag again? Thank you!
    Smart parts turned into GOG basically. WDP and WGP went out of business (sadly). Kee Action Sports bought tons of brands (empire, evil, rps, etc etc) and are now one of the largest companies, usually branding their flagship stuff as Empire. Eclipse grew from a specialty marker-maker and customized parts manufacturer to one of the largest paintball companies. Dye remains Dye. Not sure where Valken came from but I like their paint. Plenty of smallish companies are left and still make great stuff, and AGD is arguably part of that group now.

For tournament play the most important thing is to have the correct settings and firing modes. I'd check out the Empire Axe, Eclipse Etek Series, and MacDev Drone. There are probably a few others that are decent too, but those are all in the 4-500 dollar price range and have all the modes you'll need.

Mechanical Automags are awesome and there's nothing more reliable, but they can't keep up ROF wise with the newer electros (in general, but there are things you can do to change that), and honestly the RT valves might even be illegal at tournaments (not sure on this, I know the RT effect is, though).

Every electronic loader can now feed faster than you can pull the trigger, which is really nice.

Compressed air tanks are pretty much the same, but have gotten smaller as guns have gotten more efficient (again, in general).

Also, everything the two guys above me have said is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAirgunRT View Post
    definitely get your self a good comfortable mask first. past that what is your definition of cheap? what Mag set up or other marker set up did you have before you quit? are you going straight into tournament play or will you just slowly get back into playing? can you tune your own marker? what got you out of paintball?

oh yeah...welcome back dood!

Scottybeans. Thanks for the info on the companies updates. That explained a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Scottybeans. Thanks for the info on the companies updates. That explained a lot to me.
    No problem at all. I just got back into the sport in March of this year after about 6 years off, so I was a bit shell-shocked by the big changes to the major companies as well.

Also, decent paint is way cheaper than it used to be, which is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post
    No problem at all. I just got back into the sport in March of this year after about 6 years off, so I was a bit shell-shocked by the big changes to the major companies as well.

Also, decent paint is way cheaper than it used to be, which is awesome.
    Feb is when I got back in this year from 03. Only gun I still owned was my classic RT. And yes paint prices have fell.

Sorry for the delay. I got out mostly due to the fact that I enlisted in the Marine Corps and had zero time to do much of anything. I'm out now, and finally got my financial situation back to where I can play here and there. I'm not ready to jump into every weekend play/tournament travel. Just a little recball here n there, and maybe a local tourney from time to time. My main was an Automag RT/Intelliframe for a long time, but I had most every marker imaginable.. Shocker NXT, Orracle and E-Blade cocker, Nasty Impulse, etc. I really would like an E-mag lvl 10 setup or something of that sort if I can find one cheap enough.

** oh, and my post count is gone, but I forgot they fixed my Join Date.. Nice =D

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBeans View Post
    Mechanical Automags are awesome and there's nothing more reliable, but they can't keep up ROF wise with the newer electros (in general, but there are things you can do to change that), and honestly the RT valves might even be illegal at tournaments (not sure on this, I know the RT effect is, though).
    Some places (tournaments) don't mind the RT effect, but still maintain a ROF cap at 12-13.5 bps (13.5 bps =~ 800 rounds/min, sound familiar?).

The ninja SHP bottle at 1100 psi will usually drive an x-valve/RT between 19 - 22 bps. I have two classic valve setups that can do 14 bps.

If you are only playing locally, check with the field if you want to use a mag (they can be tuned down to 12 bps; it feels strange). If you are going to wander around the country, I would pick up an electro that is capable of 12-13 bps, so that you don't have to change markers when someone complains.