Thread: Anybody ever just up and quit a forum?

Anybody ever just up and quit a forum?

Ok, so I've get it out there that I am not talking about PBN, nor am I looking for PBN stories. I've been on there for years at a time, got pissed off or annoyed and left, then come back to it again sometimes even with a new user name when I couldn't get my old password. Love it or hate it, it's sort of the online hub of paintball, and we've probably all had our moments over there.

I'm thinking more along the lines of smaller forums (or any other forum for that matter) where you've just decided to quite posting or delete/lock your account for some reason... Moderators, site rules, B/S/T issues, cliques, "That Guy", annoying interface, whatever made it unbearable or not worth doing anymore. I guess I'm wondering if anyone could share (politely, without naming names or forums) what the situation was that drove you off or away, whether it was one big thing or several small things, or several things leading to the final straw, etc.

Yeup, I have. It was a gun forum. The moderators were some of the biggest arrogant, condescending, egomaniacs I've ever seen online. In fact, I believe the only purpose of the entire forum was for them to stroke their ego and berate the those who dared type a post in their presence. And since most of the moderators, of which there were many, branded themselves as "Industry Professionals", any dissent from their opinion was invalid, wrong, and to be ignored/flamed/banned.

The entire atmosphere of the forum was of people walking on eggshells. When a thread was posted, it was crapshoot if it was going to be locked without notice, turned into a flame session and locked afterwards, or if you were lucky, it would be graced with a 2 or 3 word condescending reply from the "Industry Professional".

There was some really good information on the forum, but you will also never find a bigger group of elitists.

¥€$

I don't think there's any forum that I've consciously just up and quit. There are a few out there that I don't post on very often anymore, and some I don't post on ever anymore. But that's really just due to changing habits, interests, etc.

About the only thing I can think of as being "quit" is a couple of different forums for an online game I used to play - and those were only quit when I quit playing the game itself. No hard feelings against the forum, but the game devs messed with the game mechanics one too many times.

No forums, but I did delete my account for a very large social media site back in college. Ex-girlfriends. That's all I'll say.

I did lose contact with some people, but I'll tell you what, it lets you know who your true friends are. They're the ones who know you don't have an account, so they actually call to catch up and hang out.

-Nathan
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    No forums, but I did delete my account for a very large social media site back in college.
    I quit 'da big one' about four years ago - man am I happier for it. I was on there from damn close to the get-go and watched it change over various generations. I realized that other peoples crap and extreme opinions, which were not things we would ever discuss in person, to constantly get slammed in my face every time I logged on - I could block them, but then what's the point of the social network?